Mom's Biscott recipe
  Re: (...)
As per Billy's request, I'm going to start posting some of my Mom's recipes. She really only used written recipes for baking, so when I post cooking recipes, amounts might be approximate. Here's the first:

Biscotts (Yes, that's what she called them)
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup orange juics
1 orange rind, grated
4 large eggs
4 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
confectioner's sugar frosting

1. Cream butter and sugar with mixer in a large mixing bowl. Add vanilla, orange juice and orange rind. Add eggs one at a time and mix well. Combine flour and baking powder and gradually add to the batter. Batter will be very sticky.
Dust hands and dough with flour and form the dough into a ball. Divide into 4 pieces. Roll out 1 piece at a time to form a log 3 inches around. Place logs on a greased baking sheet and bake in 325 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Let cool slightly, then cut each log into ten 1/2 inch pieces. Bake these standing up about an inch apart on baking sheet for another 10 to 15 minutes until slightly brown. They will be crispy when they cool.

2. When cool, dip tops in confectioners sugar glaze: 10X sugar, dash of vanilla and a little milk. Glaze will be runny.
Servings: 40

Notes: For variety, try amaretto or frangelico in place of orange juice and leave out orange rind.

There are as many variations for these as there are Italian grandmoms, and they are all good. Sometimes I add some chopped walnuts, dried cranberries, or both. The tops can be dipped in chocolate, glazed, or left plain. These are always a hit at our summer reunions.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Mom's Biscott recipe by Mare749 (As per Billy's reque...)
They are biscuits here too---that is a good recipe for cookies!!!

Don't ya just love those old tried, true and trusted recipes??? Can't beat them IMHO!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Mom's Biscott recipe by Roxanne 21 (They are biscuits he...)
Oh Maryann, I'm so glad you're doing this - I've started copying!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mom's Biscott recipe by cjs (Oh Maryann, I'm so g...)
Jean, the biscotts are great in the morning with your coffee!

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Mom's Biscott recipe by Mare749 (Jean, the biscotts a...)
that's how I really like them. Maryann, maybe you'll know the answer to this - years ago when I used to make biscott(i) one of my sons' father-in-law always wanted me to save a few that were baked only once. Sam had a name for these and I can't for the life of me remember what he called them. I don't remember what part of Italy he was from, so no clues there. do you know what he would have called them?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mom's Biscott recipe by cjs (that's how I really ...)
I'm not Maryann lol, but I have made unscotti.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Mom's Biscott recipe by Lorraine (I'm not Maryann lol,...)
Jean, I think biscotti is an acquired taste, people either love them or not. My dad preferred them less dry because he didn't dunk them in coffee the way some people do, so my mom would just bake some like cookies, then glaze the tops.

Here's another variation for anyone who wants it. Using very cold dough and extra flour, roll into ropes, cut off approx. 3 inches, form an "S" and bake only once. When cool, dip the tops in powdered sugar glaze. Put sprinkles on for the kiddies.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Mom's Biscott recipe by Mare749 (Jean, I think biscot...)
"unscotti." - I like that!

So, you would call biscotti baked just once a 'cookie', eh? makes sense. an acquired taste??? It took me all of 1 minute I think, to love them!!

"S" - looks good too. Added to recipe.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mom's Biscott recipe by Mare749 (Jean, the biscotts a...)
Quote:

Jean, the biscotts are great in the morning with your coffee!

Maryann

Oh Maryann, I can remember being a little girl, sitting in Grandmas (pink & gray) kitchen in Brooklyn, dunking Biscotti (pronounced by her Bish Coaty)in coffee and feeling so grown up.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Mom's Biscott recipe by farnfam ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Cis, those memories are the best!

Maryann
Maryann