Mom
  Re: (...)
Sunday is Mother's day and our tradition is that my husband takes over the kitchen. I really love to cook, but it's his way of showing love and interest in me. The menu isn't a surprise because he just can't handle the shopping.

All the best to all you Moms... Don't forget yours this Sunday.
  Re: Mom by HomeCulinarian (Sunday is Mother's d...)
I still haven't decided what to do for Mom's day - it's supposed to rain (Steve says 'sprinkle' but I don't always trust him!!) so for the first time in my life, I think, I've asked Roy to make res. for brunch since I won't be able to enjoy the new deck!! And I'll play with dinner - I know it will involve the grill!

What is everyonne else doing, maybe I'll get inspiration from you all....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mom by cjs (I still haven't deci...)
Well, I sent her a card. And, I had my sister buy her a bunch of her favourite foods that she doesn't buy herself (butter tarts, bison pot pies, a fancy trail mix etc).

I'll have company this weekend, so I'll keep trying my hand at smoking, probably ribs and chicken.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
I haven't got a clue what we're doing. The girls are all scattered, although Jen called to tell me that she's trying to get the Oakland A's to give up one of the pink baseball bats they'll be playing with Sunday to honor Mom's and recognize breast cancer. (She works where they play) It's kind of an off the wall Mother's Day gift, hmmmmmm this would give me something to gently whap her and her sister over the head when they refuse to start getting their mamograms!

I think dinner will be nice little steaks, Billy's mashed yukon golds and parsnips, and a big beautiful salad with fried ravioli's instead of croutons!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Mom by Harborwitch (I haven't got a clue...)
I am making Fredia's favorite "Stir-Fried Vegetables with Rice." That's all we have planned cause that's all she wants
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Mom by bjcotton (I am making Fredia's...)
My in-laws are cooking ribs for all of us on Sunday, but we all take something so my MIL doesn't have to do all the cooking and can enjoy her great-grandbabies.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Mom by Mare749 (My in-laws are cooki...)
Well, since we're going out to the girls in a week or so, we'll do Mother's Day out there with them. So this Sunday we're doing the Chicken & Dumplings. And probably a lot of phone talking
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
Well, I wanted to do the duck breasts with pear ginger chutney for my Mom, but the weather looks nice-which means my parents will toss the kayaks on the car and spend the day paddling.

Maybe I should do this up in some sort of picnic lunch, now I'm thinking...

PJ
PJ
My mom is here for a week-long visit. I'm hosting Mother's Day for 11 people and we're doing a brunch with quiches and salads. We're trying to do it a bit low fat and healthy because of some dietary considerations with some of the attending!

Happy Mother's Day to you Moms out there!
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
  Re: Re: Mom by SDRecipeGirl (My mom is here for a...)
Just got back from the weekly shopping trip. And, the menu at my house is...

Filet de Boeuf Nature Marchand de Vin (Filet with Marchand de Vin Sauce) - From the kitchen of Antoine's and found in the Sugar Buster's Cookbook.

Marinated Portabella Mushroom Salad with Stilton Cheese and Bacon - from the kitchen of the Windsor Court Hotel, also found in the Sugar Buster's cookbook.

Grilled Asparagus

Rice pilaf or Sundried tomato risotto

Served with the bottle of French red wine my son brought us back from his trip there in March.

Filet Recipe

4 - 10 oz beef tenderloins
1 T olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 T chopped parsley for garnish

Roux

4 T unsalted butter
4 T whole wheat flour

Sauce

1 c chopped white onion
1 c chopped mushrooms
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 T unsalted butter
2 c beef stock
1 c red wine
3 T Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
Salt & pepper to taste.

For the Roux, in a small heavy skillet melt butter and add the flour. Brown flour until it becomes a dark carmel color and set aside. For the Sauce, saute the onions, mushrooms and garlic with butter until lightly browned. Add the beef stock, wine, Lea & Perrins, salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes, reducing the liquid, and then add the roux. Mix well.

Brush the filets with the oil and season the meat with salt & pepper. Cook on the grill or in a heavy iron skillet to desired doneness, turning once. Place filet in the middle of the plate, topped iwth Marchand de Vin sauce. Sprinkle top with chopped parsley. Serves 4.

Salad recipe...

2 Portabella mushrooms
6 oz olive oil
3 oz red wine vinegar
1/2 oz soy sauce
1 clove garlic
2 oz mixed greens
2 slices bacon, fried crisp
1 oz Stilton

Clean and de-stem the Portabellas. Blend 4 oz oil, 2 oz vinegar, soy sauce and garlic. Pour over mushroom caps and let marinate overnight. Mix greens with 2 oz olive oil and 1 oz red wine vinegar, then toss. Top with the diced crisp bacon and cheese. Grill Portabellas 4 to 6 minutes, slice into strips. Top salads with the warm mushrooms. Serves 2.

I'll be enjoying my day... Hope you will, too!

Jeannette