dreamy cream horns
  Re: (...)
does anyone know if..in the june 2007 recipes- can the chocolate sauce that is to be dribbled over the horns be made ahead of time and rewarmed? and can the horn shells be filled frozen?
  Re: dreamy cream horns by jcrisp (does anyone know if....)
Welcome, jcrisp!

I'm far from an expert, one who is will chime soon, I'm sure, but I've had a little experience with this.

The sauce can be made ahead and rewarmed, gently. I wouldn't be comfortable freezing these, though. In my own experience, whipped cream anything breaks down and becomes a new creature when frozen, which is why we always use that frozen whipped product at work when we need to freeze something. Puff pastry anything loses its' crispness very quickly, I've found reheating makes it greasy. Since the filling holds for 2 days, maybe that's an option for you.

Perhaps someone who has had better luck than I will come along and offer advice!

Enjoy the board

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: dreamy cream horns by pjcooks (Welcome, jcrisp![br]...)
I rec'd that issue yesterday and thought they looked so luscious. So old fashioned and so enjoyed to my memory.
  Re: Re: dreamy cream horns by vannin (I rec'd that issue y...)
and I thought such a novel technique too. But maybe that's the way you always make them, y'know wrapped around the mold like that
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: dreamy cream horns by vannin (I rec'd that issue y...)
Dale, YOU GOT YOURS BEFORE I GOT MINE?????

OOPS forgot to WELCOME jcrisp---nice to have you here!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: dreamy cream horns by Roxanne 21 (Dale, YOU GOT YOURS ...)
rotfl.. I did, I did, Roxanne. How about that then. I feel so up to date and all.
  Re: Re: dreamy cream horns by vannin (rotfl.. I did, I did...)
well i made them- froze the shells (empty) made the chocolate sauce ahead of time- the outcome- yes they were delicious, i filled them just before serving, defrosted the shells that morning- would not recommend making the sauce ahead of time- it was nice and smooth the frist go around then got too thick and lumpy- all in all the gang LOVED them

jill
  Re: Re: dreamy cream horns by jcrisp (well i made them- fr...)
grreat feeling, isn't it Jill?? Thanks for doing the testing for all of us!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: dreamy cream horns by jcrisp (well i made them- fr...)
Well, now that I've steered you totally wrong I'm glad you had success! I've never had a good experience freezing cooked puff pastry, but maybe I should try again with my new fridge. Thanks for the review!

PJ
PJ