Beef Brisket
  Re: (...)
I bought a really nice 5 1/2 lb brisket from Costco the other day and want to fix it for supper tomorrow. I've made the Beer Braised Brisket many times and want something different. Ideas? The Texas Brisket looked nice but I have to keep it fairly simple.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Beef Brisket by bjcotton (I bought a really ni...)
Well, I certainly understand your situation. What's off limits? Seems we're the only ones who deal with this on a daily basis, doesn't it? (Sorry if I left anyone out!)

I'm assuming this isn't corned, am I right?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Beef Brisket by pjcooks (Well, I certainly un...)
Billy, we've been talking about smoking one. Would that work?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Beef Brisket by bjcotton (I bought a really ni...)
I can't remember - did you make the Whiskey Glazed Corned Beef for St. Patty's? People who made that seemed to like it, particularly the fact that you get leftovers for the Reuben Hushpuppies. Issue 62.
  Re: Re: Beef Brisket by Ron (I can't remember - d...)
I did, Billy, I loved it.

PJ

Whoops, I meant Ron, sorry!
PJ
  Re: Re: Beef Brisket by pjcooks (I did, Billy, I lov...)
I don't have the wherewithall to smoke it. Corned beef is okay here, but not a favorite.

First, the 800 lb gorilla; he isn't fond of ANY tomato based product or sauce only likes fresh tomatoes, but that's tough, he can eat it or have a sandie.

Fredia has the following allergies: corn, soy, honey. I can use a little corn meal or a few kernels of corn and it's okay...soy and honey is a disaster waiting to happen. That's the only real restrictions on food products.

I have a gas grill, and most other cooking utensils, but not a smoker. I have a LARGE supply of various liqueurs and liquors, including a Porter beer. Many, many varied seasonings, food processors, mixers, knives, whatever. My techniques aren't the best, but I get there

That's all folks.....oh yeah, I'm short, bald, old, and fat if that helps!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Beef Brisket by bjcotton (I don't have the whe...)
Billy, my family has been smoking things on the gas grill for years. It all started with my dad putting apple branches in the coals while rotissering a turkey. That turns out excellent! We can't do that with our new gas grill, so we're going to try indirect smoking by putting chips in a foil pan on low heat on one side while cooking the meat on the other side. Don't know if this helps, but you might want to try it. It adds a nice flavor.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Beef Brisket by Mare749 (Billy, my family has...)
Billy, here's one of Dave N's that I've made, and we loved. There's only a bit of tomato paste in it.

Forty Clove Dutch Oven Brisket

Whole cooked garlic is far milder than processed garlic when cooked. The more you process garlic, the stronger the garlic flavor. Just to prove that point, try this recipe using forty cloves of garlic for one little 'ol chicken instead of brisket!

Ingredients:

1 (5 to 6 pounds) beef brisket, rinsed and patted dry
kosher salt and freshly-ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
40 large cloves garlic, peeled
1 large sweet onion, thick sliced and separated into rings
1/4 cup red wine
2 1/2 cups beef stock
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried basil

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Season brisket liberally on both sides with kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper.

Heat a large Dutch oven with a lid over medium-high heat on your stove top. Add olive oil to coat the bottom to the oven. Sear both sides of brisket fat-side down first, until golden brown. Remove to a sheet pan.

Add garlic cloves and onion rings to the remaining oil in the pan. Cook and stir until garlic begins to turn golden and sweet onions are limp and lightly colored.

Add red wine and deglaze the pan, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add beef stock, tomato paste, bay leaves and basil. Bring back to a simmer, then turn off heat. Move garlic and onions to the side and return brisket to the Dutch oven or skillet. Spoon garlic and onions over the top of the brisket, cover tightly, and place in the oven.

Bake for 1 hour at 325 degrees F. Reduce heat to 300 degrees and bake an additional 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until brisket is fork-tender. Remove brisket to a platter and cover with foil to rest for 10 minutes.

Remove half of of garlic cloves and most of onions to a bowl. Skim off excess oil from the pan gravy and discard. Blend pan gravy and remaining garlic until smooth in a food processor. You can add a little roux or cornstarch slurry to thicken gravy, by bringing it back to the stove and returning to a boil. Return reserved whole garlic cloves and onions to the gravy.

Slice brisket diagonally across the grain. Serve with pan gravy.

The gravy was really, really good!
  Re: Re: Beef Brisket by Lorraine (Billy, here's one of...)
And here's the other one I made last winter, from Foodservice Daily. It has to marinate overnight, so you'd have to find something else for tonight's supper.

Sweet and Sour Brisket

Makes 10 to 12 servings

Ingredients:

3 to 4 pounds fresh beef brisket
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup chili sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 medium onions, sliced
1 cup sliced celery, with leaves
3 small cooking apples, cored, cut in wedges
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water

Preparation:

Trim fat from meat, discard fat. For marinade, stir together vinegar, apple juice, chili sauce, sugar, salt and pepper, until sugar and salt dissolve. Place meat in a large plastic resealable bag. Carefully pour marinade over the meat, close bag. Refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.

Remove meat from bag, reserve marinade. Place meat in a 3 quart casserole or 13x9 inch baking dish. Top meat with onions and celery. Pour reserved marinade over entire dish contents. Cover and roast at 325 degrees F., about 3 hours, or until meat is very tender. Add apples the last 10 minutes.

Remove meat, vegetables and apples to a serving platter, reserving juices. Cover meat and keep warm.

For gravy, strain reserved juices and measure 2 1/2 cups. In a medium saucepan, stir cornstarch into cold water. Add reserved juices. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbling. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. To serve, slice meat thinly. Pass with gravy.
  Re: Re: Beef Brisket by Lorraine (And here's the other...)
Billy, have you ever tried Attie's??? It's wonderful! Maybe for the next one...(no tomato)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com