Cutting, chopping, rocking skills?
  Re: (...)
Would someone like to give this cook wannabe a few written lessons in all of these skills? Or direct me to a website that explains them, maybe one with a video. I'm sure I'm doing it all wrong
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Cutting, chopping, rocking skills? by farnfam (Would someone like t...)
this might help -

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/recipes/h...0knife.php

or this -

http://www.cheftalk.com/content/display....pe=article

(I agree with author's choice of illus. #1 as the way to hold your knife - it gives the most control, imo)

AND REMEMBER to always keep your fingers (of the non-cutting hand) curled, then the knife will just 'kiss' your knuckles as you chop - the blade never going above the height of your knuckles... )

and the basic knife cuts are -

brunoise - 1/8x1/8x1/8"
small dice - 1/4x1/4x1/4"
medium dice - 1/2x1/2x1/2"
large dice - 3/4x3/4x3/4"
julienne - 1/8x1/8x 2 1/2"
batonnet - 1/4x1/4x 2 1/2 - 3"
frenh fry - 1/3 - 1/2" sq. x 3" long

And when you are tested on, say your mirepoix, your cuts MUST be uniform!! right, Denise? It's a pain at first, but with practice it becomes a habit.

Any of this help?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cutting, chopping, rocking skills? by cjs (this might help -[br...)
I NEVER can get those basic cuts to the right size, some are larger and some are smaller. Maybe one of these days
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Cutting, chopping, rocking skills? by cjs (this might help -[br...)
Oh goody, thanks Jean. I'll be busy studying, I never really had a lesson. I don't even have a Chef's knife, but I'm going to get one directly!! Wish I had a laptop so I could have the pictures right on the kitchen counter. I guess I'll print out as much as I can. Thanks again!!
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cutting, chopping, rocking skills? by farnfam (Oh goody, thanks Jea...)
Jean is a chopper and I'm a hacker, but I found the food network vidoes helpful.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/ck_dm_knife_skills
  Re: Re: Cutting, chopping, rocking skills? by bjcotton (I NEVER can get thos...)
GREAT sites, Jean and Ron----I downloaded to my Micro soft word and will look at more carefully when I have a free "moment".......always a wonderful experience to learn a new 'thing'---we can ALWAYS learn a technique that will enhance our cooking abilities vs. catch as you can. Most of my trials in the kitchen have been by error---you are the supreme instructors with respect to "teaching" the basics!!! THANK YOU!!!

That's the reason why I remain a loyal C@H fan!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Cutting, chopping, rocking skills? by Roxanne 21 (GREAT sites, Jean an...)
Jean is a supreme instructor. I just try to keep out of the deep end of the pool.
  Re: Re: Cutting, chopping, rocking skills? by Ron (Jean is a supreme in...)
Gotcha---know what you mean---Trying (and learning from the masters), though, is the name of the "game"--that is why we are here, me thinks---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Cutting, chopping, rocking skills? by Roxanne 21 (Gotcha---know what y...)
I set out my Professional Chef book and practice chopping. Just learning to hold the knife correctly was a coup for me.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Cutting, chopping, rocking skills? by farnfam (Would someone like t...)
I was merrily chopping away at cilantro and looked up and damned near chopped through my thumb. My best advice is to keep your eyes on whatever knife you are using in whatever technique.