Coked Brined Chicken
  Re: (...)
Ok my chicken is in the fridge in the brine. I will be serving it with the BBQ Burbon sauce, fresh cold slaw and garlic bread.

I shall report later tonight on how it comes out.

And yep I had to taste the brine before I put the chicken in it...salty coke...yuck.
  Re: Coked Brined Chicken by DFen911 (Ok my chicken is in ...)
Ok I was very skeptical about this recipe.

It said to brine for 2 hours. Well my rule for brining is minimum 4 hours so I ended up brining for 6 hours.

I doubled the recipe for rub. I find that they usually just are not enough for my tastes.

So about the flavor...

Oh...

My...

Goodness!!!

We have decided this is THE bbq chicken to beat The meat was so moist and flavorful. The skin was nice and crispy. Oh I could go on and on about this chicken but you simply must try it!!!

I served it with mixed greens and garlic bread.

Whoever developed this one hit it right out of the ballpark.
  Re: Re: Coked Brined Chicken by DFen911 (Ok I was very skepti...)
Thanks Denise, I've been skeptical about this one also, but I won't be now. Glad to hear that it's so good.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Coked Brined Chicken by Mare749 (Thanks Denise, I've ...)
Why don't you tell us what you really think of it Denise?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Coked Brined Chicken by bjcotton (Why don't you tell u...)
Well, now I have to try it of course.
  Re: Re: Coked Brined Chicken by DFen911 (Ok I was very skepti...)
Does it smoke much (i.e. could I do it in the oven)? If a possibility, what temperature would you suggest? Every spring/summer the magazines come out with their grilling issues. Everything sounds good and I get left out of the party.
  Re: Re: Coked Brined Chicken by Ron (Does it smoke much (...)
Ron, I don't grill either. I just take the recipe and cook as I would with any other similar meat dish at the temps I'm used to. Does that make sense? I also use my grill pan or cast iron pan frequently for those outdoorsy type dishes. No problem.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Coked Brined Chicken by Roxanne 21 (Ron, I don't grill e...)
SON-OF-A-GUN!!!! While I was looking for #63 for the 2nd sauce that went with the coke-chicken, I FOUND MY #62 ISSUE! It was stuck 'tween Weeknight Menus and Perfect Pasta books..... now I can see what you all are talkin' about - blackened ham, hushpuppies, etc.

Denise, next time you do this be sure and make both sauces - the Sweet Carolina one we were putting on everything - it's delicious.

I didn't do the coke brining when I did this, cause my chicken was already brining when I found the recipe, but I'll sure try it next time also.

Both sauce recipes are copied and taped to the cupboard door (inside...) where I put oft repeated ideas, they are wonderful.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Coked Brined Chicken by Ron (Does it smoke much (...)
Ron do you have a grill pan large enough to do a split chicken? If not do game hens I also used my cast iron weights instead of the brick in the pan. Same weights I use to make panini's.

I use a charcoal grill so I do get a lot of smoke, but not like hamburgers or anything. If you have a good vent you'll be just fine. Do them on high heat to get that good sear and then turn the heat done to continue cooking.

I think they only thing I'd do on stovetop vs grill would be high heat for 10 minutes, reduce heat to medium turn bird 45 degrees and cook an addition 10-12 minutes. Turn heat back to high and flip for 10 minutes, reduce heat to med-high and cook 10-12 again. I didn't do the second turn because it wasn't important to have the grill marks on the bottom side and it's hard to obtain on the cavity part. (Mind you this is for chicken not game hens). You want to get the internal temp to 180.

We're using the left overs today for lunch for a topping on green salad.

Let me know if you do this on the stove Ron and how it comes out
  Re: Re: Coked Brined Chicken by DFen911 (Ron do you have a gr...)
That would be like cooking Chicken Under A Brick. You start on the top of the stove and finish it in the oven. Takes about 30 minutes altogether.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy