Amazon Deal of the Day...
  Re: (...)
KitchenAid's 16-piece fine edge forged knife set comes in a traditional natural wood block. The strong, durable blades are made from a high-carbon stainless steel. The contoured handles, in your choice of red or black, are made from Dupont Delrin and have a comfortable grip. The set includes a chef's knife, slicer, bread knife, utility knife, parer, and sharpener, plus kitchen shears, eight steak knives, and a traditional wood block.
$49.99 (Previous Price: $99.99)
  Re: Amazon Deal of the Day... by Ron (KitchenAid's 16-piec...)
When I was in the States a couple of months ago, I went all over creation searching for a set of knives that felt comfortable in my hand---good heft and grip. I tried all of the name brands and then some......NADA!!! I did not try the Kitchenaid, though One of these days....
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Amazon Deal of the Day... by Roxanne 21 (When I was in the St...)
"I went all over creation searching for a set of knives that felt comfortable in my hand---good heft and grip. I tried all of the name brands and then some......NADA!!!"

I'm not familiar with the KitchenAid, but I posted anyway. At that price, I imagine they are something of a starter set. Did you try the Forschner Victorinox knives? I currently only have their bread knife and their boning knife but I really like them. I expect to buy others as the need arises.
  Re: Re: Amazon Deal of the Day... by Ron ("I went all over cre...)
Yes, I did. I have a really small hand and find it very difficult to accommodate and have a comfortable "feel". That brand is here as well. But I am patient and persistent---something will come along.

Presently I am using a set of Japanese knives and they are great for my uses but I sure would love Chef's quality---hmmmm! I am getting to that point "as the need arises"--
  Re: Re: Amazon Deal of the Day... by Roxanne 21 (Yes, I did. I hav...)
It must be raining there too! Nothing on television here, so I'm playing on the computer. I like the few Wusthof and Henckels I have, but imagine you looked at them. I don't have any, but some people swear by the Kyocera ceramic or Global knives. Or, if you have a small hand, have you looked at the santoku chef's knives - love my Wusthof!
  Re: Re: Amazon Deal of the Day... by Ron (It must be raining t...)
No--not raining. A beautiful sunny 95 degree day---strange for autumn here. I'm just a bit lonely and bored. I have been working my buns off with tons of projects and drama queen moments---had another couple today and have to deal with them somehow before DH returns----he cannot stand anything that is not working perfectly......DUH we live in the third world---not an excuse--

Anyway, I will continue on my quest for the "right" knife. Somehow. Santoku was not in the products that I searched---not even on the horizon!!! Will look into that, for sure---thanks for that suggestion!!!

Wusthof is here as well---VERY pricey but I would have purchased if comfortable.
  Re: Re: Amazon Deal of the Day... by Roxanne 21 (No--not raining. A...)
We desperately need rain and any is appreciated, but it has been little more than a drizzle so far - just enough to keep me from doing my yard work. ATK is coming up shortly, so that will help. Good luck on the knife search. The santoku is a style of knife, not a brand, but tends to run smaller than chef's knives, so it might work for you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santoku
Note reference in paragraph two to people with small hands. If you get Rachel Ray on tv there, she is The Princess of Santoku.
  Re: Re: Amazon Deal of the Day... by Ron (We desperately need ...)
ATK?????? Could ya give me a clue???

I will have a look out for the Santokus---I have read so much about them---mostly good opinions--may be at my Japanese importer--or whatever. The search BEGINS!!!

We need rain desperately as well---we are gonna have MAJOR problems if the dams don't get some type of replenishment---sort of like restrictions and penalties for more than 2 gallons of use per day!! (NOT a joke!!!!)
  Re: Re: Amazon Deal of the Day... by Ron (We desperately need ...)
We could shift some rain your way Ron. It's rained everyday for the last 10 days, at least a drizzle.

I purchased several 4" KA Santokus as Christmas gifts. Everyone liked the knives and said the handles fit their hands [gifts were all given to women]. BiMart has these knives for $9.99.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Amazon Deal of the Day... by Roxanne 21 (ATK?????? Could ya ...)
"ATK?????? Could ya give me a clue???"

Sorry, America's Test Kitchen, a tv show by the same people who publish Cook's Illustrated magazine. I've pushed C@H to do a show, but no luck so far. Well, 20 minutes to showtime, and I've got to make a sandwich and pour a glass of milk.