Parsnip Pancakes
  Re: (...)
I picked up a copy of "The Best of Fine Cooking, Sidedishes" at the store the other day. We spotted this and just had to try - fantastic!!

Parsnip Pancakes with Carmelized Onions and Sour Cream.

3 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs butter - unsalted
1 large or 2 small yellow onions, thinly sliced.
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lb small to med. parsnips, peeled
1 medium leek, white part only finely chopped to make 1/2 c
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 Tbs. all purpose flour
Sour cream for garnish

In a medium skillte, heat 1 Tbs each of the butter and oil over medium heat. When the foam subsides, add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally until very soft and golden, 20 to 25 minutes; reduce heat if they brown to quickly. Season to taste and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring about 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add the parsnips, cut them if they don't fit in the pan, and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to cool them quickly and drain again - very well. Grate the parsnips in a food processor fitted with a medium grating disck.

In a medium bowl, combine the parsnips, leek, and egg. Stir in the flour, 1 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper.

In a heavy skillet heat the remaining oil and butter over med. high heat. Shape the parsnip mixture into 4 equal size balls - put them in the skillet and press on them with a flat spatula to make a cake about 3 1/2" wide. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until browned on one side (about 4 to 6 minutes). Turn the cakes over and brown the other side. Flip to recrisp the first side. Drain briefly on paper towels then serve while hot with a large dollop of sour cream and the caramelized onions.

My thoughts: A little more flour - they really didn't form "balls". I also think a tiny bit of nutmeg or cinnamon and a lot more pepper. Other than that Bob would like to have these frequently!!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Parsnip Pancakes by Harborwitch (I picked up a copy o...)
Anything with butter, onions, and leeks would have to be tasty. I just might have to try this Friday.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Sounds really really good, I love parsnips. Copied and printed!

Thanks

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Parsnip Pancakes by bjcotton (Anything with butter...)
Now I'm wondering if I can make up a bunch of these and freeze them for dinners in the summer. Bob just loved them.
  Re: Re: Parsnip Pancakes by Harborwitch (Now I'm wondering if...)
I happen to have parnsips in the fridge. I will make these for tonight. Love parsnips, have made them many times but have used zucchini not onion. Thanks Sharon
  Re: Re: Parsnip Pancakes by Harborwitch (Now I'm wondering if...)
Sounds good, Sharon - would be nice to have some side dishes like this in the freezer for summer, wouldn't it.

(You're havin' fun in your new kitchen, aren't you... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Parsnip Pancakes by cjs (Sounds good, Sharon ...)
There have been times in the summer when I'd commit whatever necessary to acquire parsnips and celery root. I think I'll make some extra batches of the pancakes and stuff them in the freezer. Can you freeze celery root????

You have no idea how much fun I'm having! There is so much room, and I've still got a lot of work to do to get it perfect. As soon as I get my computer back I'll post some pictures of it! Did I mention the central light fixture in the kitchen is a beautiful SS potrack????? My little island fits perfectly under it!
I've also done them with grated carrot - not precooked. just grate them up, mix them with egg and flour and fry. Yummy
  Re: Parsnip lattkas by lxxf (I've also done them ...)
While I was shopping for Sugarbrown's Mama's Mama's Banana cake and Best Carrot Cake Ever ingredients to make cakes for Fredia's nurses I picked up all the ingredients I needed for this recipe too. Plan to make them for a snack on Friday.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Parsnip lattkas by bjcotton (While I was shopping...)
They'd be great for a snack. May have to get more parsnips. I think they'd really be fun for an appy.