Frozen Strawberries...
  Re: (...)
I was going to pick up some fresh strawberries the last time I was in town to put on vanilla ice cream as a treat while watching the hockey games this weekend. The fresh ones looked pretty sorry. I noticed the store had a special on frozen strawberries, so I decided to buy them. They did not LOOK like strawberries and they did not TASTE like strawberries. They were so bad we threw out them and the ice cream they were on. I opened the other packages and they were comparable. They had an unbelievable, nasty metallic taste. I checked the package and they were from China. If you see frozen strawberries from T.J. Farms in Boise, Idaho consider yourself forewarned.
  Re: Frozen Strawberries... by Ron (I was going to pick ...)
Thank you Ron! Our fresh strawberries here are so sorry and pitiful that I wouldn't buy some to top our cake, even with sauce.

I have used frozen in the past but only put them in pina coladas or smoothies and they were fine. We've never eaten them as an accent to a dessert.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
Thanks Ron, I do buy frozen strawberries in the winter because we like to make yogurt smoothies for breakfast sometimes. I usually buy bags from Sam's Club, but I'll take note of this brand in case I see it. Is it possible that they got freezer burned?

Another possibility is that the product was thawed for a while due to freezer breakdowns in the store. I can tell you firsthand that happens and the help just puts the packages back into the freezers. Frozen food is sometimes poorly handled, at least in our grocery stores.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Frozen Strawberries... by Mare749 (Thanks Ron, I do buy...)
We've been buying the frozen ones at Aldi. Sliced fairly thin and added to the spinach salad, gorgonzola w/ grapefruit dressing, and they've been quite good and sweet. Sorry you had such a lousy experience Ron.
Cis
Empress for Life
I wouldn't have made the post if they were marginal, but they were off the board horrible. Bad color, bad texture, worse taste. They came in a frozen vegetable-style package, not a can, but tasted extremely metallic. I've had no problems with potatoes from the company - maybe they should have stuck to them. Had to quickly make some chocolate chip cookies to go with the ice cream.