Bamboo cutting boards
  Re: (...)
Are they "better" for your knives (re: maintaining the sharp edge longer) than the plastic cutting boards?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Bamboo cutting boards by foodfiend (Are they "better" fo...)
LOL Vicci, I think it is like many things, some think so and some don't.
I don't know much about them, Vicci - with my island I find I don't have a need for wood cutting boards anymore - except for presentation maybe.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
But I need to know !!! My plastic boards are old and stain easily (requiring periodic bleaching with lemon juice) and I need an excuse to buy some of those pretty bamboo ones that I've been seeing...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Bamboo cutting boards by cjs (I don't know much a...)
Jean, do you cut meat on your island? And if so, how do you disinfect the area? I've wondered about that for years since I always use one board for meat only. When I'm done, I wash with hot water and dish detergent, then spray with bleach water and let it set for a while before rinsing. We've never gotten sick, but I still wonder if it's enough, especially since the old wooden cutting board has lots of scratches on it.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Bamboo cutting boards by Mare749 (Jean, do you cut mea...)
Quote:

Jean, do you cut meat on your island? And if so, how do you disinfect the area? I've wondered about that for years since I always use one board for meat only. When I'm done, I wash with hot water and dish detergent, then spray with bleach water and let it set for a while before rinsing. We've never gotten sick, but I still wonder if it's enough, especially since the old wooden cutting board has lots of scratches on it.

Maryann

Maryann, my Mom does exactly what you do to clean her board after cutting meat. This woman is a fanatic about destroying bacteria (more so than I am) and if that's good enough for her then it's probably good enough for anyone!

I would probably save my bamboo boards for veggies and bread and keep using the plastic for meat since I can toss them in the dishwasher.

And I just noticed your location-- we were in your area last year buying a boat at Parma Marine. I found this wonderful place called World Market...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Bamboo cutting boards by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
World Market is a lot of fun, haven't been there in a while, thanks for the reminder. Parma Marine is just a mile or so down the road from me. Enjoy your boat this summer!
Maryann

Re: Re: Bamboo cutting boards by Mare749 (World Market is a lo...)
Quote:

World Market is a lot of fun, haven't been there in a while, thanks for the reminder. Parma Marine is just a mile or so down the road from me. Enjoy your boat this summer!

Oh, we'll enjoy the boat, I'm sure... It has opened up a whole new type of cuisine for me "portable-room-temperature-foods-that-don't-crumb"

We also ate at a great restaurant called Fat Cats while we were waiting for the boat to be detailed (why they didn't do this before we arrived, I don't know). It wasn't in Parma, but near another place I stopped at, a huge Farmer's Market in an old brick building. It was my favorite type of day-- a foodie's day!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Bamboo cutting boards by Mare749 (Jean, do you cut mea...)
No, I don't - I use the hard plastic ones for that - but, I disinfect everyday - the boards and the island. Just a regular disinfectant from Smart & Final that I used to buy for the hotel kitchen.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bamboo cutting boards by cjs (No, I don't - I use ...)
Thanks Jean, I'm guessing that what I do must be okay then.

Vicci, that's the West Side Market you are talking about, and yes, it really is a fun place and I love to go there.
It's multi-cultural and you can get so many authentic food items there, and always the freshest produce.

Maryann
Maryann