Post deleted by sysadmin
  Re: (...)
  Re: Post deleted by sysadmin by (...)
Good luck, Steve! I've been feeling the same way myself lately, 11 years in catering, prep, cooking, service and managing have left me with a fatigue I can't seem to shake. I sometimes think of doing something different for a while, then getting back into it. Probably won't, though, I have a day job w/benefits and holidays, these are rare in this business.

Best of luck to you, get some rest and reset the perspective and re-energize! Glad you're keeping the side biz, hard to get out of it altogether, isn't it?

Glad you'll stay here with us

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Hanging up the Apron and Putting away the Knives by pjcooks (Good luck, Steve! I...)
Steve, I'm really glad you will stay on the forum, also.

It's very difficult to be self employed and I would imagine it's hard to let go of something you love. Fortunately you can still work with food on the weekends and holidays, if you choose.

Good luck in the new job and I hope you'll find satisfaction in that. I know I love Mr HB having benefits nowadays and although he is in sales, we have a good base salary and are able to pay the bills on time. Big benefit!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Hanging up the Apron and Putting away the Knives by Half_Baked (Steve, I'm really gl...)
Best of luck with all your efforts Steve. I'm glad you'll keep in touch with us.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Hanging up the Apron and Putting away the Knives by bjcotton (Best of luck with al...)
Steve I wish you all the best!! I know how you feel only I"m leaving the computer industry for food

Do keep in touch on the boards though. We'd miss you around here!
  Re: Re: Hanging up the Apron and Putting away the Knives by DFen911 (Steve I wish you all...)
Best of luck, Steve! And like the others, I'm glad you will still be checking in on the forum and offering your advice and expertise. Sometimes change is the best thing we can do for ourselves. That is a brave move you took. Hope you meet lots of nice new people.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Hanging up the Apron and Putting away the Knives by Mare749 (Best of luck, Steve!...)
I know where you're comin' from Steve - my body has sure felt better the last year, but it's my mind that misses the hell out of professional cooking!!!! Also, I can't believe how nice it is to have weekends!!!!!

Good luck in the new gig and you'd better stick around here and be a home cook as so many of us are now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hanging up the Apron and Putting away the Knives by cjs (I know where you're ...)
  Re: Post deleted by sysadmin by (...)
Jane and I once looked seriously at opening a resteraunt of our own. We read an article in Bon Appetit by Jinx and Jefferson Morgan who have a fine one in Tortuba (sp?). Basically it said "if you love to cook don't go into the business". We took it to heart--I have so much respect for you folks--we even belong to the Texas Resteraunt Assoc. and I write insurance throughout the industry. I know how difficult it is to be there--Good luck in whatever you do.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Hanging up the Apron and Putting away the Knives by Old Bay (Jane and I once look...)
Oh my, Jinx & Jefferson - I've enjoyed their column in B.A. for a hundred years!! I remember when they first left the U.S. and bot that place.

The closest I've ever come to wanting to start a restaurant of some sort was when we were still in Calif. and Roy was making wonderful wines. We discussed opening a little bistro type wine-makers dinner only place. If we'd been 15 years younger, we probably would have done it......
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com