KFC Spice Recipe...
  Re: (...)
I'm making CAH Classic Southern Fried Chicken again tonight. The kosher salt and black pepper they specify is fine, but I'd like something a bit different for a change. Has anyone found a passable KFC spice knockoff? I've tried a few and never was particularly happy. I know it's never going to be the same without broasting, but does anyone have a good KFC knockoff - or a particularly good spice combo for southern frying? (Spicy, but not hot, preferred).
  Re: KFC Spice Recipe... by Ron (I'm making CAH Class...)
Have you seen this one? http://www.recipezaar.com/12125

2 tablespoons salt
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons pepper
4 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon mustard, ground
1 tablespoon French thyme, ground
1 tablespoon sweet basil
1 teaspoon oregano, ground
1 tablespoon jamaica ginger, ground

The recipe says to dip in egg and bake...?
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: KFC Spice Recipe... by Half_Baked (Have you seen this o...)
I checked other recipes on the internet and almost all the southern fried (in oil, in skillet) had only salt and pepper in addition to the flour. Maybe spices burn in the hot oil? Anyway, I remember now that when I tried the KFC spice recipes they were "oven-fried" (i.e. baked). Anyway, I'm going to be adventurous and add a small amount of garlic and celery salt. The chicken is in the buttermilk, and the Lodge is waiting on the stove.
  Re: Re: KFC Spice Recipe... by Ron (I checked other reci...)
I will add whatever spice is my fancy for the moment. Favorites are garlic powder, cayenne pepper (just a touch), onion powder, bit of oregano ---sometimes I will use basil instead---just play with it Ron, you will come up with a favorite soon 'nuf!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: KFC Spice Recipe... by Roxanne 21 (I will add whatever ...)
At least put in a bit of thyme.
Jan

Re: Re: KFC Spice Recipe... by Half_Baked (At least put in a bi...)
Quote:

At least put in a bit of thyme.

You caught me too late on the thyme, but I did add in Roxanne's onion powder along with the granulated garlic and celery salt. I added just small amounts of each, but it did seem to add a bit of flavor that we appreciated.
  Re: Re: KFC Spice Recipe... by Ron ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I don't push Rachel baby, but here is one with her spices. I haven't tried it:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Double Dipped Spicy Chicken

Recipe By :Rachael Ray
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:10
Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
oil -- for frying
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 cup buttermilk
1 pound chicken thighs -- boned and skinned
1 pound chicken breast halves -- boned and skinned
salt and pepper

Heat 1 1/2 inches oil in a deep skillet over medium high heat. A cube of bread should brown in a 40 count when oil is ready.

Set out 3 pie tins. Mix flour with paprika, poultry seasoning, cayenne, and allspice. Divide seasoned flour between 2 tins. Pour buttermilk into a tin. Line up tins as such: flour, buttermilk, and then flour.

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Coat chicken pieces in flour, then buttermilk, then a second coating of flour.

Cook chicken 6 minutes on each side, until deep golden brown and firm. Drain chicken on paper bags or towels and serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: KFC Spice Recipe... by Ron (I checked other reci...)
Ron, you might try seasoning before frying and then sprinkle again just as you remove from the hot oil - maybe more of the flavor will be there.

NOW, it will probably take a dare to get you (or anyone!) to try the below recipe for fried chicken...so, I dare you to try it! It is so off the wall, but it is so good!!!! and the recipe works! The only reason I'm posting it, is that it has a lot of the seasoning/herbs you're talking about.

COLD OIL CHICKEN

Got this Recipe in the 70s ~ Willow Glen days

2/3 cup flour
1 tsp each: garlic salt & seasoned salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp each: pepper, rubbed sage, thyme leaves, & dried basil
3 cup oil (approx.)
Chicken pieces

In a bag, combine all the seasonings.

In a deep electric frying pan, pour in 1/2" of oil. Shake each piece of Chicken in flour mixture & place skin side down in the cold oil.

Cover the pan & turn to 350°. When you hear the chicken frying & sizzling loudly, set a timer & cook for 15 min.
Remove cover & turn pieces over.
Cook, uncovered for 10 min. longer or till meat next to bone is done.

I've used other pans, but really prefer the electric skillet - it is so precise.

DARE YA ALL.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: KFC Spice Recipe... by cjs (Ron, you might try s...)
That is a hard sell - getting someone to put the chicken in cold oil. I would think it would absorb oil, which is one thing I'm definitely trying to avoid when doing southern fried. We were happy with the spice increase last night and I think I'll just increase spices a bit more next time. I've got the CAH timing down in terms of getting the meat done next to the bone without burning the coating, and I hate to flirt with the fickle finger of fate.
  Re: Re: KFC Spice Recipe... by Ron (That is a hard sell ...)
I fried chicken breasts last night and when I cut into them after letting them sit, they were only 2/3 done (the bone area was raw).

That is so aggravating, so I proceeded to completely ruin them by cutting them off the bone and finishing them in the microwave. I had already washed, dried and oiled my skillet.

Worse dinner we've had in a long time.
Jan