A Couple of Legs of Our Journey...
  Re: (...)
Are we having fun!! We are 10 days into the trip and I've yet to cook! at home, I mean. I've sure had fun cooking with friends and relatives! And have we ever been feasting. Seems like the nights we've had alone, we crash from all the frivolity with the friends and family. We neither one can shake the 'crud' that we have. We had to beg off meeting Sharon (Harborwitch) and Bob last nite and we went to bed at 7 p.m. - slept for 9 straight hours and I'm feeling better this a.m.

I won't go into any details here on what we've been up to - there is the blog for that, but I'll post a few of the best recipes here as we find and taste them. One of them, a stuffed jalapeno pepper that someone on some forum posted a few days ago is really a keeper -

Raspberry Cream Cheese Jalapenos

Jalapeno peppers -- seeded and split lengthwise
8 oz cream cheese -- softened
1/2 c raspberry preserves (I used Huckleberry jam)
2 eggs -- beaten
3/4 ts salt -- divided
1 t vegetable oil
1 c self-rising flour
1 c cornflakes -- crushed
oil for frying
powdered sugar for garnish

1.Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil. Place jalapeno peppers in the water 10 to 15 minutes, until just tender. Drain and cool.

2.Blot interiors of the jalapeno peppers dry with a paper towel.

3.Combine cream cheese and raspberry preserves together; mix until smooth. Fill each jalapeno pepper with some of the cream cheese mixture, but do not overstuff.

4.In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, 1/4 tsp salt and vegetable oil. In another small bowl, mix remaining salt, and flour. Place crushed cornflakes in a third small bowl.

5.One at a time, dip the stuffed peppers into the egg mixture, the flour mixture, the egg mixture again, and finally the cornflakes crumbs. Place coated peppers in a medium dish. Freeze for 1-2 hours.

6.Heat oil in a large, deep skillet over medium high heat (can also use a deep fryer). Fry the frozen peppers 3-4 minutes each, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with powered sugar. Serve warm.

-----

this is really good. But, I'd never done the method of letting the peppers sit in the hot water before. It really seems to take the heat out of them - or I just happened to pick up 6 really mild peppers - which I seriously doubt! But, the texture was so nice, that I think I'll do this again, but make sure all the membrane is left in the pepper.

Had a ball cooking with Tracie (madmax) and Kelly (some of you know her) - both of them are becoming great cooks!! and what fun to cook together.

We are in Lodi this a.m. and Sharon & Bob are coming for brunch, then we'll hit some wineries and land at their abode for dinner. She left a msg. last nite that something chocolate is in our future!!!! So anxious to see them.

What's the date supposed to be for the Chix Carbonara review??? I'm staying away from Ron's - cause I haven't been home long enuf to fix it yet. After Sharon and Bob, there are no more friends and relations, so we're on our own for food...(darn) will fix it then.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: A Couple of Legs of Our Journey... by cjs (Are we having fun!! ...)
Thanks for the update, Jean!! Sounds like you're having a blast. Will go look at the blog now!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: A Couple of Legs of Our Journey... by Lorraine (Thanks for the updat...)
I couldn't publish my response on your blog with my Google name and password (). I think the same thing has happened before on some of the blogs.

Regardless, this is what I wanted to say!

"I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying your blog...and the recipes are great.

This trip sounds like so much fun and that Tracie is going great guns with her cooking, isn't she?

Jean, as beautiful as you are now, that picture (Angela Davis) show you as a real hottie back in the days. <grin> You man-eater, you!

xoxo Jan"
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: A Couple of Legs of Our Journey... by Half_Baked (I couldn't publish m...)
liked the hair, did you???? thanks jan.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com