Recipe Reviews from April Issue
  Re: (...)
I made the Blackened Ham Steak and Mini Cheddar Biscuits over the weekend.

The Blackened Ham Steak itself would've been awesome if I'd been able to sear it on the outdoor grill. The city has recently come through our neighborhood and torn up a bunch of the backyards in an attempt to renovate the sewer system. Consequently, our backyard is a huge, depressing mud pit at the moment. Our charcoal grill was removed by this endeavor and there's something funky going on with the gas grill. So, I used my indoor panini press/electric grill which I love for so many things. . .but not this. I forgot the ham would exude a bunch of juice (read injected solution) and thus steam in the press instead of grilling. Otherwise, the flavor was great, just not the desired consistency.

I really liked the pineapple/sweet potato combo. They called it a salad, but I'm not sure I would. I used half the called for parsley because my people were already being weird about the combo. I left out the salt/pepper. The sweet potato seemed a little "flat" against the pineapple and mayo dressing/sauce, but all in all, I liked it.

The Mini Cheddar Biscuits were a hit, except I think the ratio of flour to liquid was off a bit (my measurements, probably). The dough was more like a drop biscuit than a cut biscuit, but hey, they tasted really good!

Cheers - Beth
  Re: Recipe Reviews from April Issue by bethcross (I made the Blackened...)
I won't get my April issue for quite awhile. Thanks for the tip!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Recipe Reviews from April Issue by Half_Baked (I won't get my April...)
hmmm, good sounding flavors. Since we won't be home for a while, think I'll start checking the C@H Plus soon and see when they post the recipes. You don't see many ideas for a ham steak.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com