A Few Superbowl Recipes
  Re: (...)
We didn't plan this, but we ended up having a Superbowl party....more on that in my blog ( shameless) but here are a few dishes we served that I thot some of you might like to have and play with -

CRANBERRY CRAB SPREAD
I saw somewhere the combination of fruit and crab and thot it sounded very interesting)

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 T. milk
8 oz. crabmeat (fresh or canned and flaked)
2 T. green onions, minced or chives
Dashes of salt and garlic powder
4-6 shakes of Tabasco
½ cup dried cranberries
Parsley, sliced green onions, or chives for garnish

Whisk together the cream cheese and milk till well combined.
Add the crabmeat thru garlic powder and combine well.
Stir in dried cranberries, cover and refrigerate for a couple hours.
Garnish and serve with crackers or toasted bread rounds.
Makes about 2 cups.
--------

JALAPENO POPPERS ROCKEFELLER
This was a C2C posting, but I neglected to get the poster!!! Sharon, was it you??
Makes 12 appetizer servings

24 jalapeño peppers, top cut off and seeded
12 oysters, off the shell, chopped with liquid
1/2 cup cooked spinach, well drained and chopped
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
1 teaspoon Pernod
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
12 slices bacon, partially cooked and cut in half

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Mix the chopped oysters, spinach, green onion, bread crumbs, egg, Pernod and seasonings together. Stuff the peppers with the mixture. Top each pepper with bacon and insert toothpick through to hold in place.

Bake the peppers until they are soft, heated through and the bacon is crisp. Approximately 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool for 2 minutes then serve.

Note: I only had four jalapenos, so cut them in half lengthwise and filled that way. Also, I had some scraps of yellow bells, cut those in sqs. and rectangles and topped them with the filling – the other gal who was ‘in attendance’ didn’t want jalapenos, but she ate all the bells! So, I think I’ll do this again with a popper platter.

SCALLOPS WITH CAVIAR AND SOUR CREAM

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey via an old family favorite

Vegetable or Canola oil
12 sea scallops, sliced in half horizontally
sour cream for piping
thinly sliced red onion pieces
caviar for topping

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Season scallops with salt and pepper.
Cook scallops until golden on the bottom, about 2 min.

Turn over and saute till done, about 1 more minute.
Drain on paper towels and let cool.

Top each scallop with a dab of sour cream (this is easy to do with a plastic bag and a corner cut off to pipe onto the scallop)
Top the sour cream with red onion pieces.
Carefully spoon caviar on top.

Description:
"Serve on Asian spoons for a nice presentation."
Yield:
"24 pieces"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: A Few Superbowl Recipes by cjs (We didn't plan this,...)
The fishmonger had great looking scallops yesterday. wish I had bought some!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: A Few Superbowl Recipes by Lorraine (The fishmonger had g...)
neener, neener - you had smelts...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A Few Superbowl Recipes by cjs (neener, neener - you...)
Both recipes sound very nice but I love dried cranberries....but I love scallops, too!

Our supermarket had huge scallops on Friday and I didn't buy them since I needed shrimp more. Now I'm kicking myself.

Actually I did way too much on Friday and didn't want to spend a minute more in the grocery store than I had to. I napped for about 5 hrs on Saturday. I still get so tired.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: A Few Superbowl Recipes by Half_Baked (Both recipes sound v...)
Two more months you're supposed to be taking it real easy, aren't you, Jan??
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A Few Superbowl Recipes by cjs (Two more months you'...)
Girl, we're all coming out there and take turns whipping your butt! You know we can do it too! We love you too much for you to be taking chances.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: A Few Superbowl Recipes by bjcotton (Girl, we're all comi...)
What they said above. Jan, dear lady, now is still the time for silk and sheepskin, softest pillows, and milk warm showers. Please take care Jan, please do.

Don't go to supermarkets, they are hard and cold. Not the right place for you now. Instead let Harold go, poor Harold, he will bring you little treats, you know, that he knows you love. Adventures and anticipation galore.
  Re: Re: A Few Superbowl Recipes by vannin (What they said above...)
Jan, Dale is right. As hard as it is, try to stay out of the grocery stores during cold and flu season. (now till April) Grocery stores are among the germiest places on the face of the earth and the last thing you need after surgery is an infection of any kind.

Think about it, people stay home from work because they are sick or their kids are sick. Sometimes they have to go out to the doctors office, pick up prescriptions and dinner on the way home. So.....they decide to make that "quick trip" through the grocery store so they don't have to go back out. If you have to, you can always order groceries online. Take care!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: A Few Superbowl Recipes by cjs (We didn't plan this,...)
Bump - was doing a search for something else and thought I would bump this one up since there has been Superbowl talk.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: A Few Superbowl Recipes by esgunn (Bump - was doing a s...)
How about putting out the largest hemispherical serving container you can find, filling it with chili, and calling it the "Super Bowl"?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?