freezing uncooked prepared recipes
  Re: (...)
i frequently make recipes that yield more than one or two servings and end up leaving the extra portions in the re-
frigerator a few days. Then I reheat the leftovers but sometimes they don't turn out so well. Case in point: I frequently make sun-dried tomato crusted chicken (April 04), and stuffed chicken breasts (Dec 04,Jan 05) - or I may combine bits of each recipe. What would happen if I froze the portion that I would not be eating that day before cooking it, and then, say, a month later, cooked it? If this is an acceptable method, and should I thaw it first, and then cook it as usual?
Any advise would be appreciated.
Chops
  Re: freezing uncooked prepared recipes by Chops52 (i frequently make re...)
I don't know about the sun dried tomato crusted chicken, BUT...I always freeze the Indian Stuffed Chicken breasts. I found that the filling usually makes enough for 6 chicken breasts - I am not great at measuring - usually just dump - So, I make the marinade recipe, it is enough. Make and Stuff all the breasts. Place half the stuffed breasts in a freezer zip lock and pour half the marinade on them. Freeze laying flat so they are in better shape. Then we eat the other half that night.

I then thaw in the refrigerator overnight and we grill fresh. I make the fresh curry beurr blanc each night. We love the sauce - what is not to love about butter. So, I usually make a full recipe of the sauce for each half recipe of breasts. Works out great!

I have not tried the summer stuffed chicken breasts. We love the indian one so much we don't bother with the other.

I was hesitant about the yogurt in the marinade and the ricotta in the stuffing. When thawing the marinade seperates a little - but it really does not affect the final product. And the stuffing is just fine.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: freezing uncooked prepared recipes by esgunn (I don't know about t...)
Thanx for the info, Erin. Yours sounds like a great solution. I'm going to do just as you do (there's no marinade involved, but not matter), and in a week or two, I'll do the refrigerator thaw - and let you know how I made out.

Chops
  Re: Re: freezing uncooked prepared recipes by Chops52 (Thanx for the info, ...)
I was just looking back at my mags, realizing you were probably talking about different stuffed ckicken breasts - were you talking about Issue 47/October 04. The chicken Kiev and Chicken cordon blue?

They look great and I keep meaning to make them. The questions will be if the panko breading will stick during freezing and thawing and if it will crisp up for cooking. (The pre-made frozen ones you buy seems to do ok). You might try flash freezing them on a cookie sheet before wrapping/bagging them up.

Please let me know how it goes. I love being able to break these recipes up and save work on another day.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: freezing uncooked prepared recipes by esgunn (I was just looking b...)
Erin gave you just about all the info you need to get you going, I would only add that I would not do any breading or coating until you are cooking the 2nd batch. Then no chance of soggy coatings.

Also - it's a good idea to freeze any of these items on a baking sheet and pkg. after frozen. Good luck.

Oh thirdly, I always think I'll remember the issue the recipe is from,but I don't, so I write all the info on the freezer label as to where the darn recipe is, so I can see what I still have to do to the product.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: freezing uncooked prepared recipes by cjs (Erin gave you just a...)
Shane and I used to do Schnitzathons. We would do battle for a few hours with millions of sliced meat, egg, flour breadcrumbs, and lay them in a large roasting pan with cling wrap between each layer, with some extra crumbs. They take a while to freeze completely, but when you want W. Schnitz just take one, or more, out. It was so easy.
  Re: Re: freezing uncooked prepared recipes by vannin (Shane and I used to ...)
We also made stacks of beef or chicken olives. Or pork. They are more a casserole, and I almost always use sage and onion stuffing. The pork is best with apples walnut, onion. Fresh bread crumbs and herbs of course, with all.

Eye filet steak, cut thick, and smacked into slightly thinner offerings, flour egg and fresh herbed breadcrumbs. I do spead more crumbs between these if frozen layered, but usually do not layer them. They turn out perfectly defrosted in the fridge. Cook only until the breadcrumbs are nicely browned, the steak will be a perfect pink.
  Re: Re: freezing uncooked prepared recipes by vannin (We also made stacks ...)
Beef or whatever olives. Sliced beef, a whole sirloin is good and fairly uniform in size. Slice thinish, add stuffing and roll. You probably call them roulades, but to us they are just beef olives. Freeze and cook in a casserole when using. The sauce is quick and uncomplicated, use anything that takes your fancy.
  Re: Re: freezing uncooked prepared recipes by esgunn (I was just looking b...)
hi Erin,

No, I never made the chicken kiev or condon bleu. The stuffed chicken breasts I made the other nite were from the
dec 04/ jan 05 issue, and I used the prosciutto and fontina cheese filling. The breading I took from a recipe for sun-dried tomato crusted chicken that is in the April 04 issue (1-2-3 Weeknite article).
Chops