Maryann -
  Re: (...)
I'm sure you've found a basic vanilla pudding recipe by now, but I'm really curious what you didn't like about the Blancmange....the mouthfeel? texture? maybe miss the chemicals in Jello pudding?????? (that's a joke )

I'm thinking maybe you were looking for the flavor eggs and butter would give the pudding, so is this more of what you were thinking?

1/4 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

In a medium-size glass bowl, combine cornstarch and sugar. With a whisk gradually stir milk into the cornstarch mixture. Cook in the microwave on high power for 5-7 minutes or until thickened and bubbling, stirring aftereach 2-minute interval.

Beat half of the hot mixture into the eggs. Blend above egg mixture into remaining hot mixture.

Microwave on high power for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes, or until thickened and heated through; stirring after each 45 seconds of cooking. With a whisk, stir in butter and vanilla.

Pour into dessert dishes. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.

This recipe for Creamy Vanilla Pudding serves/makes 4

---

I just made the Blancmange and it tastes really good to me - I'm going to unmold them and nap with a little chocoate sauce for dessert.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Maryann - by cjs (I'm sure you've foun...)
Oh my gosh, Jean, you really are the nicest person! Thank you! And yes, you nailed it. I'm afraid I was brought up on the rich and fattening variety and yes, probably with all the chemicals added on top.

Funny thing is, after all of us kids were out of the house, my mom went on the whole low-fat kick and would have preferred a lighter pudding. She used to love rice pudding, egg custard and tapioca, and I never really cared for any of those either.

I really appreciate the recipe since 2 of my 3 grandbabies need the extra calories. (and not the chemicals)

Maryann xoxo
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."