Oh, I Wish You Were All Here!!!
  Re: (...)
This is why I moved home...exactly why!

A big sale on Alaska King Crab this week, so we trekked down and picked up four absolutely gorgeous legs. Then we decided well why not go for it for a seafood extravaganza!!

In our refrigerator right now are the King Crab legs, two Dungeness Crabs (they were buy one get one free ), a lb. of mussels and a lb. of steamer clams....we are going to have fun for the next few nights!

Tonight we're having for an appy - Cameron's Penn Cove Mussels with Balsamic Cream & Bacon (a dish prepared by Chef Cameron for us in Yarrow Bay Beach Cafe in 2001 and she nicely shared with me), and the steamed king crab and clams. Tomorrow night will be a Crab Louis with S.F. famous Louis dressing. I didn't get my 18 hour bread going till 3:30 today, so tonite we'll have store-bot sour dough...poor us.

This is the food I grew up on and I'm so glad to be back in the area for it, I'll gladly put up with the weather.

I do wish you could all be here, we'd just have a ball cookin' up all this!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Oh, I Wish You Were All Here!!! by cjs (This is why I moved ...)
Crap, I've STILL never had Crab Louie! I can get King Crab legs here, but never Dungeness. Last time I orderd one in a great local fish restaurant (without asking the price), it was $65.00! But, darn, it was good! Enjoy your meals, Jean.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Oh, I Wish You Were All Here!!! by Lorraine (Crap, I've STILL nev...)
Not checking the price Lorraine was sound fiscal judgement in an unknown risk management situation. I applaud your common sense, and active participation in what can be a very hard working enviroment. ;Þ
  Re: Re: Oh, I Wish You Were All Here!!! by Lorraine (Crap, I've STILL nev...)
Well, I sure wish we all could be there too, Jean! Crab in any way, shape, or form is my all-time fav! We even go crabbin' while on vacation every year in S.C.

Never had Crab Louie. Whatever it is, I'm sure we would love that too. Have a great time!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Oh, I Wish You Were All Here!!! by Mare749 (Well, I sure wish we...)
" Crab Louie "

I think it's a salad with crab and a great dressing. Sounds simple doesn't it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Oh, I Wish You Were All Here!!! by Lorraine (" Crab Louie "[br][b...)
I think it could be a bit of a mission if you don't have the crab Lorraine.
I used to scarf down a lot of Dungeness Crab when I lived in California. Missed it a lot, so I ordered some off the internet for Christmas (Lighthouse Deli and Fish in South Beach, Oregon if Billy is familiar with it). It was good, but just not as good as I remembered. Probably the "good old days" factor. Regardless, I do wish I lived where I could have fresh seafood on a more regular basis.
  Re: Re: Oh, I Wish You Were All Here!!! by Ron (I used to scarf down...)
When my sis, Carol, and her hubby go crabbing Dungeness is what they bring back, usually a couple of 5 gallon buckets after they have been cleaned and broken up. The groceries around here have them when they're in season.

Even the ones you buy in the stores aren't as good as the ones that come right out of the water into a cook pot Ron.

Carol has invited Jean and Roy to come on down and go fishing/crabbing with her. She's got plenty of room for their 5th wheel.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Jean we are fortunate in that our local HEB (mother of Central Market) carries king crab and we buy it when it goes to $9.99/lb. It's cooked so we just put down newspaper, melt some butter and get cracking on about2-3lbs. We eat till we're full and save any leftover for crabcakes. What do you have to pay up there? I know it is so much fresher. We've not had as good luck with their snow crab clusters and Dungeness. I'm sure my envy is duly noted.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Oh, I Wish You Were All Here!!! by bjcotton (When my sis, Carol, ...)
Well, last nite's pig out was wonderful- The mussel dish, tho I haven't made it for so long, was just as wonderful as I remember...

Cameon's PENN COVE MUSSELS with BALSAMIC CREAM & BACON

Recipe By :Chef Cameon Orel
Serving Size : 2

1/2 - 1 pound Penn cove mussels -- debearded & cleaned
1 T. shallots -- chopped
1 T. garlic -- chopped
1/8 cup bacon -- chopped, cooked
1/8 cup tomatoes -- diced
1/4 cup white wine
1 cup heavy cream
3 T. balsamic vinegar
1 T. basil -- fresh, chopped

In a saute pan place the bacon, shallot, & garlic.
Saute till the shallots begin to look clear.
Add the mussels & toss with the shallots & the bacon
Deglaze the pan w/1/4 cup of white wine.
Add the cream & the basil & balsamic vinegar; reduce w/a lid on the pan to open the mussels.
Once reduced, add the diced tomatoes
Serve at once in a large bowl.

Description:
"A wonderful appetizer we ate twice in a visit to Yarrow Bay Beach Cafe, Kirkland, WA 1/01"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com