An Arancini Experiment
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by cjs (This fun thread ough...)
Sadly, I don't think I ever did these. I don't think? But I have a memory of planning to. Hmmmmm?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by Gourmet_Mom (Sadly, I don't think...)
Oh Lorraine - That's on the 'short list' also!!!! sounds so good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by cjs (Oh Lorraine - That's...)
Jean, I think Houseboat Don might like them.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by Lorraine (Jean, I think Houseb...)
I was telling Tonya about them - I think I'll have to make some up for a starter. I don't think I've made them since we moved to ND I have some arborio!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by Harborwitch (I was telling Tonya ...)
Sorry to be so dense, but which recipe had the wrong time that got edited? I have wanted to try arancini for a long time. I have to confess I've never made real risotto. I have made CI's fantastic pressure cooker risotto, but never the stand by the stove and put in liquid bit by bit kind. The pc one is foolproof and so easy, I could not bring myself to do the other kind.
One of the recipes just said to cook the arborio. So I have 2 questions. One do you think any or all the variations would work with pressure cooked risotto? Or alternatively, how long does the arborio need to be cooked (not risotto style)? Thanks.
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by Cubangirl (Sorry to be so dense...)
Arborio will take about 18 to 24 minutes to cook normally - I edited the recipe with no name (but my name was at the top of recipe), I didn't change the timing,I just noted that it would take longer than the 10 minutes mentioned just before my note.

I have no idea about cooking it in a pressure cooker - have never done it.

Here's wonderful instructions for Risotto from one of my school books, with a couple of variations. The step by step is how I've always made it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Risotto Milanese
Serves 24

2 1/2 quarts chicken stock
4 ounces butter
5 ounces onions -- minced
1 1/2 pounds arborio rice
8 ounces dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads -- crushed
4 ounces parmesan cheese -- grated

1. Bring the chicken stock to a simmer.(my note: always have the liquid you will be adding to the cooking risotto hot before starting)

2. Heat 3 ounces (90 grams) of the butter in a large, heavy saucepan. Add the onion and sauté without browning until translucent.

3. Add the rice to the onion and butter. Stir well to coat the grains with butter but do not allow the rice to brown. Add the wine and stir until it is completely absorbed.(my note: well, always exceptions - you don't have to heat the wine)

4. Add the saffron. Add the simmering stock, 4 ounces (120 milliliters) at a time, stirring frequently. Wait until the stock is absorbed before adding the next 4-ounce (120-milliliter) portion.

5. After approximately 18-20 minutes, all the stock should be incorporated and the rice should be tender. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 1 ounce (30 grams) of butter and the grated cheese. Serve immediately.

Source:
"Chapter 23 - Potatoes, Grains, & Pasta"

NOTES : Variations:
Risotto with Radicchio (al Radicchio)— Omit the saffron and Parmesan. Just before the risotto is fully cooked, stir in 4 ounces (120 milliliters) heavy cream and 3 ounces (90 grams) finely chopped radicchio leaves.

Risotto with Four Cheeses (al Quattro Formaggi)— Omit the saffron. When the risotto is fully cooked, remove from the heat and stir in 2 ounces (60 grams) each of grated Parmesan, gorgonzola, fontina and mozzarella. Garnish with toasted pine nuts and chopped parsley.

Risotto with Smoked Salmon (al Salmone Affumicato)—Omit the butter, saffron and Parmesan. Sauté the onion in 3 ounces (90 milliliters) of corn or safflower oil instead.

---
The above makes 24 servings, but the recipe can be halved or even quartered. Then go on with the arancini.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by cjs (Arborio will take ab...)
I love that basic recipe! There is something soothing about making risotto.

When I first saw a chef making it he used a rose wine - I thought that was interesting, and have played with different wines (other than red). I'm going to have to make some soon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!