An Arancini Experiment
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by pjcooks (Boy, that seems like...)
"-I do better if I leave them laying around the computer for a while." - Oh yeah, that 'immediately' pile is now about 6" deep...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by pjcooks (Boy, that seems like...)
" I do better if I leave them laying around the computer for a while "

I leave them lying on the counter.

Because he has grits on the menu every day, he almost always has some left over. Made with milk, cream and butter, reminds me very much of risotto. When they get cold, they congeal very well, so, I'm thinking they may be easy to stuff, roll, and bake. I've printed it off (again) and it's in my "Take With Me" binder.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by Lorraine (" I do better if I l...)
Bringing this old one to the top for new folks. What a fun thread. and these are so good!! Thanks Lorraine for bringing this up again.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by cjs (Bringing this old on...)
Ooooooooh these were all so much fun. I got to the point that I would make risotto just so I could make arancini. The best were made from butternut squash risotto - I think we stuffed them with fontina. Must do this again.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by Harborwitch (Ooooooooh these were...)
me too, Sharon!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by cjs (me too, Sharon!!...)
You know, somehow, I have at least one of these copied, but I've never made them. Odd, since I wasn't even a member when this came up. ANYWAY, I'm thinking I may have to try these, now.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by cjs (me too, Sharon!!...)
I used to have bags and bags of these in the freezer ready for a party any time.

We ate them all before we moved.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by Harborwitch (I used to have bags ...)
I think I tried the fried and the baked kind. I must have had the wrong kind of rice cuz I do remember they fell all apart, but they tasted good
They used to have these at the pizzerias in Brooklyn, when I was a kid. I'm sure they were the fried kind. How I would love to duplicate them, I'd even settle for just finding some for sale somewhere.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by farnfam (I think I tried the ...)
This fun thread ought to be brought back to life a 3rd (or 4th) time for any new folks. I love arancini and haven't made it probably since one of these reincarnations of this thread.

P.S. I edited the amount of time for cooking the risotto in the initial recipe I posted - that 10 min. is just so wrong.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by cjs (This fun thread ough...)
He's been doing a variation on your recipe, Jean, calls them "Jambalaya fritters". He cooks the risotto, using a seafood base, adds chopped ham (country ham is great),and chopped shrimp / crawdads, whattever we have, and a bit of Cajun/Creole seasoning. We refrigerate the mixture overnight, roll into balls, coat in panko, spray with a bit of oil so they will brown and bake them. We serve these as a passed appetizer, and folks love them.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.