An Arancini Experiment
  Re: (...)
I hope you will agree with me, it seems like a very nice idea to all try one of the arancini recipes that Billy was so kind to post. We could do it like an online dinner and pick a day our reviews would be due by. This is something I'd like to add to my "skills list". I think we could learn alot from trying, especially with the wonderful experts here to teach us.
Would you all be so very kind as to try and join me in this experiment?? Please
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: An Arancini Experiment by farnfam (I hope you will agre...)
Sure, this sounds like fun. I want to use Jean's recipe though, because it sounds more like something DH would be willing to try, I have all the ingredients on hand, and it's baked, not fried.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by Mare749 (Sure, this sounds li...)
I'm in!!!! I've made Jean's recipe (they are fabulous), so I'd like to try duplicating the wild mushroom ones I had in Montreal, and the first one Billy posted.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by Lorraine (I'm in!!!! I've mad...)
Hmmm, since we're still trying to be good, I'm going over to see if the first one can be baked instead of fried - I'm in too!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by cjs (Hmmm, since we're st...)
Oh good, how fun!! Just for convenience sake I'm moving ther recipe over here too. When shall we have our reviews by?
Arancini

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil -- plus more for frying
1 small yellow onion -- finely chopped
1 celery stalk -- finely chopped
1 carrot -- finely chopped
1/2 lb. ground veal and/or pork
1 cup dry Marsala wine
1/2 cup shelled fresh English peas
1 cup meat stock
1 Tbs. tomato paste
2 Tbs. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
Salt and freshly ground pepper -- to taste
3 cups Baldo or Arborio rice
6 eggs
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1 Pinch saffron threads -- soaked in 2 Tbs. warm water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup fine dried bread crumbs

In a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, warm the 1/4 cup olive oil. Add the onion, celery and carrot and sauté until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the meat, breaking it up, and cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the wine and deglaze the pan, stirring to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom. Increase the heat to high and cook until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the peas, stock, tomato paste and parsley, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium heat. Add the rice and cook, stirring often, until tender to the bite but slightly firm in the center, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the variety. Drain and spread the rice on a baking sheet to cool.

Preheat an oven to 200°F.

In a small bowl, beat 3 of the eggs. Place the cooled rice in another bowl and add the beaten eggs, the cheese and the saffron mixture. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper.

Place a large spoonful of the rice mixture in your palm, pack it lightly and make an indentation in the center. Place a tablespoonful of the meat mixture in the indentation. Cover the meat with another large spoonful of rice, sealing the meat in the center. Pack firmly into balls about 2 inches in diameter. Set aside.

In a small, deep bowl, beat the remaining 3 eggs. Put the flour and bread crumbs into separate small, deep bowls. Coat each rice ball with flour, then with egg and then crumbs. Set aside.

In a large fry pan over medium heat, pour in oil to a depth of 1 inch and heat until the oil shimmers. Working in batches, fry the rice balls, turning frequently, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Keep the rice balls warm in the oven while frying the remaining balls. Serve immediately. Makes about 24 balls; serves 6.

Source:
"Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Collection Series, Risotto, by Pamela Sheldon Johns (Simon & Schuster, 2002)."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Oven Fried Rice Balls w/Gruyere

Recipe By :Jean
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Appetizers

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium shallot -- minced
1 garlic clove -- minced
1 cup arborio rice
2 cups water
3/4 cup shredded Gruyère cheese (2 1/2 ounces)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (1 1/2 ounces)
1/4 cup mixed chopped herbs -- such as thyme
Salt and cracked black pepper
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)

1. Preheat the oven to 450°. Lightly oil a large, rimmed baking sheet. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the shallot and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for30 seconds. Stir in the water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the water has been completely absorbed, about 10 minutes (check this time - must be off). Scrape the rice into a bowl and let cool to room temperature.

2. Stir the Gruyère, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan and all of the chopped herbs into the rice. Season the rice with salt and generously season with coarsely cracked pepper.

3. In a medium stainless steel bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm peaks form. Stir one-fourth of the whites into the rice to loosen the mixture, then stir in the remaining whites. Roll the rice into 11/2-inch balls.

4. In a shallow bowl, toss the panko with the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan. Dredge the rice balls in the panko crumbs and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Bake the rice balls in the upper third of the oven for 25 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Let stand for 5 minutes, then transfer to a platter and serve.

Oven-Fried Rice Balls with Gruyère

MAKES ABOUT 30 RICE BALLS

Flecked with black pepper and Gruyere, these crusty rice balls are an irresistible hors d'oeuvres. They're great for parties because they are baked rather than fried.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by farnfam (Oh good, how fun!! J...)
We usually allow two weeks - how does Feb. 12th?????? sound
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by cjs (We usually allow two...)
OK, I'm in too! I can try them out on the truck farmers and my lil' sis, maybe to go with the pork, tomato concassé and the orzo. Yeah, that's the ticket...I think I might try the Apple Wood Smoked Gruyere with it.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by bjcotton (OK, I'm in too! I c...)
Here's another recipe that sounds rather tempting, so, I may be making two kinds, this weekend probably.

Arancini

Recipe By eborah Mele
Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 Recipe Basic Risotto Parmesan Left To Cool For At Least 4 Hours
2 oz. Mozzarella Cheese Cut Into 1/2 Inch Dice
1 Piece Cooked Ham -- Cut Into 1/2 Inch Dice
2 Cups Seasoned Bread Crumbs
Oil For Frying

Take a small handful of rice about 2 Tablespoons full in your hands and shape into a shallow cup. Place in the cup, a piece of mozzarella and ham. Enclose the rice around the cheese, and roll into a round ball. Roll the rice ball in bread crumbs and set aside. Continue in this manner until all the rice has been used.

Heat the oil in a large pot or deep fryer until a frying thermometer registers 375 degrees F. Carefully slip 5-6 balls into the hot oil at a time, and fry until golden brown. Drain on absorbent towels, and keep warm until you are ready to serve.

Risotto Parmesan

Recipe By :by Deborah Mele
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

6 Cups Chicken Broth -- Heated
6 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter -2 Tbsp Removed To Finish The Dish
1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Onion
2 Cups Arborio Rice
1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese

Heat the 4 tablespoons of butter in a heavy saucepan. Add the onions and cook until they are translucent. Add the rice and stir until it is well coated with the butter. Add the white wine, and stir continually over medium heat until it is absorbed. Start to add 1/2 cup of hot broth, stirring as it is absorbed. Continue in this manner, adding ladles full of hot broth, and stirring continuously for about 20-25 minutes or until the rice is cooked, but remains slightly firm to the teeth. Remove from the heat, add the remaining butter and the Parmesan cheese. Serve, offering additional cheese if desired.

Buon Appetito!

Deborah Mele 2002

Source:
"by Deborah Mele"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.italianfoodforever.com/iff/printrecipe.asp?id=42"
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by Mare749 (Here's another recip...)
Tons of stuff happening here so not sure I will be able to sneak this one in but will try---I always participate and would hate to miss one of these fun and educational (instructive) events----I'll check in though to see what y'all are doing!!! I've placed all of the recipes in my Mastercook and can make them at a more down time. Thanks for the recipes--I wanna try them ALL!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: An Arancini Experiment by Roxanne 21 (Tons of stuff happen...)
I've been thinking this would go good with a soup and maybe an antipasta type salad. Or maybe just as a yummy snack with drinks over the weekend.
Cis
Empress for Life