No-Knead bread question
  Re: (...)
For those of you who are making this regularly, (like me!)
are you getting slightly different results each time? The reason I'm asking is because mine doesn't always turn out the same way and I use my food scale to measure out the flour every time. It's always delicious, so I'm not complaining, but the one I made two days ago "fell" as it was cooling.

Also, I'm wondering if the yeast makes a difference. I have been using regular active dry yeast. Should I be using rapid rise? I'm wondering because I went onto the NY Times website and read the original article by Mark Bittman, and in the photos, Jim Lahey's bread was definately higher than mine turns out.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: No-Knead bread question by Mare749 (For those of you who...)
Mine seems to come out differently each time too Maryann. But we've still been quite happy with all the results. I've been using regular yeast. Once I topped it with sliced olives and last time I added garlic powder to the mix before adding the water. It was the best one yet.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: No-Knead bread question by farnfam (Mine seems to come o...)
mine seems to be a little different each batch also. The batch I have going now, since 5 p.m. yesterday, I'm going to add some smushed roasted garlic in a little bit and see how that works.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: No-Knead bread question by cjs (mine seems to be a l...)
Jean, you can't go wrong with roasted garlic! Sounded so good, I just put a couple in my toaster oven.

I'm wondering what would happen if I preheated my baking stone, then just rolled the bread onto it at baking time. Do you think it would just turn out like ciabatta bread and only rise a few inches? The hot dutch oven is suppose to give it "spring" but mine never rises that much anyway.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: No-Knead bread question by Mare749 (Jean, you can't go w...)
I have been watching this thread for a while---???---can one make this without a bread machine?? Therefore---kneading would be necessary, I suppose. I absolutely love making bread of any kind---and the upper body exercise is a great stress reliever--
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: No-Knead bread question by Roxanne 21 (I have been watching...)
Holy Cow! All you need to make this bread is a spoon, bowl and pot to cook it in. No kneading, no nothing...just a lot of waiting time. And it doesn't matter how far you go over or under the raising hrs (within reason). I've let it set from 15 hrs to 24 with no problem.

I believe I could teach Mr HB to make it. Only after he's vacuumed and finished the laundry, though.
*zooming outta here*
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: No-Knead bread question by Half_Baked (Holy Cow! All you n...)
Looked like I just might have to try making this bread. Let me know how it works with the pizza stone...might as well use mine for something other than a paper weight
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: No-Knead bread question by bjcotton (Looked like I just m...)
Billy, it turned out great with the pizza stone!

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: No-Knead bread question by Mare749 (Billy, it turned out...)
Kewl! I'll try it next week in Portland...I'll take my stone with me.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: No-Knead bread question by bjcotton (Kewl! I'll try it n...)
Well the roasted garlic addition was wonderful! The only difference I noticed was the crust was not quite as crisp and crusty as it was without - but, the flavor was almost worth it. I gently folded the cut up garlic about 13 hours into the initial time and let it go another 5 hours and that worked.

Roxanne, reread the initial recipe again and you'll see there is no equipment nor any kneading needed at all. There doesn't seem to be a way to mess this up.

Forgot to post the picture of the bread with the garlic - should probably post it with the original 18 hour bread thread, but will do it here -

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjd...RBREAD.jpg
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com