Time to get Creative and I'd Love Help
  Re: (...)
Ok so I've been MIA for a bit. My job has gotten so crazy lately and I've been out of town with very little access to a computer, plus school..yikes.

Ok so on Valentines day our class for our final project is doing an 8 course tasting menu. Our theme is Love. So certain food componets are being used, colors, textures etc.

Well I don't why, I've never done this before, but I really wanted the Amuse Bouche. And..heh..I got it. So I have to come up with 3 that will be served. One of each on a small plate for each guest. One has to be lobster, one chicken and one vegetarian. I have the vegetarian worked out. But I need suggestions for the lobster and chicken. The first lobster one I choose was a small piece of toasted brioche bread with cauliflower moussellini, lobster, wrapped with a very, very thin slice of cuccumber. I'm worried about assembing these at last minute. The lobster is held together with a lobster jelly made with the stock. We will have 4 seatings so I will have to plate about 12-14 at a time.

I have no idea what to do with chicken. To me chicken isn't elegant or sexy.

So I would love to hear your input!
  Re: Time to get Creative and I'd Love Help by DFen911 (Ok so I've been MIA ...)
I know you will get some fantastic ideas from others - But here are some things that come to mind. I am not that familiar with Amuse Bouche - so I don't know how small they need to be.

Chicken is always classy either stuffed or rolled. Maybe you could figure out a way to do a roulade and only serve thin slices of it on a plate or sqeuwer (sp). Maybe procuito, and a spinach ricotta mixture?

How about a mini kebab with a fantastic marinade for the chicken and either pinapple or peppers or some exotic fruit or vegi?

A mini tart or wonton cooked in a mini muffin pan and stuffed with a shredded chicken and vegi - you could go asian or indian really easy with this one. Curry and mango and juliened vegis...

A mini parmasean cheese cup with a vegi or salad and slice of chicken or a shredded mixture.

Probably way off base , but they all sounded good and made me hungry!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Time to get Creative and I'd Love Help by esgunn (I know you will get ...)
Ohhh - another idea - what about an empanada with a really fun dipping sauce - just saw the front of the magazine and borrowed the idea!
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Time to get Creative and I'd Love Help by DFen911 (Ok so I've been MIA ...)
Got the thinking cap on---LATER!!!!

Watch this space for the pros!!! You will have some great, innovative ideas!!!

NICE ideas, Erin!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Time to get Creative and I'd Love Help by esgunn (I know you will get ...)
Oh, here are two more ideas...can you tell I am hungry!

A baked or fried tortilla triangle (maybe gordita so it is a little thicker or pita bread) and corn, black bean, cliantro chicken salad with a avacado aioli or something similar.

Ravioli stuffed with wild mushrooms and chicken and either steamed/boiled with a sauce or fried.
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Time to get Creative and I'd Love Help by esgunn (Oh, here are two mor...)
What about some kind of chicken lollipop? I'm thinking asian flavours, lemongrass or something.

As for the lobster, I make lobster cakes, very light and delicate, but what a taste!!!! Serve with a great sauce! Maybe a haystack of 3 really mini ones with the sauce in between?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Time to get Creative and I'd Love Help by Lorraine (What about some kind...)
Now you all are making me hungry!

The amuse bouche has to be one bite. If the item requires a sauce it must be drizzled on before service.

I like the chicken lollipop. Easy to handle too. Ravioli...hhmm I could do a mushroom one and then bread/fry them so they're easy to pick up too.

Keep the ideas coming!! I'm going to print out this thread and take it to school on Monday. We have to finalize on that day.

I am so excited I can't stand it. One it's our last big service. Finally my family gets to come so they can see why I've been burning the candle at both ends and still smile. And my dish is the first dish out so it will set the standard for all other dishes to follow.

I'll post our full menu on Monday

Thank you all so much!! I just love this food support group!
  Re: Re: Time to get Creative and I'd Love Help by DFen911 (Now you all are maki...)
darn, darn, darn, I knew I bought that Amuse Bouche book for something and here I'm stuck a long ways away from it. Jean, oh Jean, where are you?

There was a picture of one in the book that fascinated me, it was a pea pod spread open with a bite of lobster in it, but that's all I can remember about it. It was served in a tiny bowl or spoon. Maybe something along those lines with the lobster sitting in a tiny bit of an very light Asian sauce in one of those Chinese handled spoons?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Time to get Creative and I'd Love Help by bjcotton (Damn, damn, damn, I ...)
OMG, it's Rick Tramonto's book. Let me check!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Time to get Creative and I'd Love Help by bjcotton (Damn, damn, damn, I ...)
Some yummy stuff here, I love the Chinese spoon thing, filled with practically anything, but what about a soup. Something dark and intensly tasty. With maybe a small prawn immersed. The handle would give a structured height too, if that fits in. A sip is as good as a bite. Perhaps?