Freezing onions...
  Re: (...)
I was thinking if I diced a large batch of onions and froze them it might make sense for me to buy the chopper. I researched on the internet and several sources say freezing works well, with a 3+ month freezer life. Has anyone here tried freezing onions?
  Re: Freezing onions... by Ron (I was thinking if I ...)
No, because I'm afraid of having smelly ice cubes. Somehow that smell always finds it's way to my ice-maker.
I think it's okay to do it though. I've seen frozen onions in the freezer section at the grocery store.

Ron, about the chopper you want. Have you considered a food processor? I must use mine at least 3-4 times a week and it's easy to wash. It sits right out on my counter.
Well worth the money.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Freezing onions... by Mare749 (No, because I'm afra...)
Yup, food processor, I use my 14-cup Cuisinart frequently, but the additional discs are very dear in price.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Freezing onions... by bjcotton (Yup, food processor,...)
Quote:

Yup, food processor, I use my 14-cup Cuisinart frequently, but the additional discs are very dear in price.

But the price is well worth it!!! I use the food processor whenever I have bulk slicing/grating to do---can't imagine what I would do without it. I love my mandolin, too. But this I use for medium bulk---then there is always the trusty knife for smaller jobs.

I haven't frozen onions so can't comment--sorry!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Freezing onions... by Roxanne 21 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
ron, I've frozen them for years - I've never had a problem with the onion scent getting thru to ice cubes or anything else in the freezer....hmmmm.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Freezing onions... by cjs (ron, I've frozen the...)
Quote:

ron, I've frozen them for years - I've never had a problem with the onion scent getting thru to ice cubes or anything else in the freezer....hmmmm.

I just have to try this. It seems like I regularly need a few to top a hamburger or put in a taco and then the remainder goes in the refer.
  Re: Re: Freezing onions... by cjs (ron, I've frozen the...)
Interesting good people. The idea of freezing onions had never occurred to me. Jean, if I cut them really fine would they hold up with the perky spiffingness that a cheese and onion stuffed potato demands?
  Re: Re: Freezing onions... by Ron ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I have not frozen onions, although I have heard many times that you can. I should, I often throw away a 1/4 or 1/2 an onion that migrated to the bottom of the vegtable drawer and dried out.

One word of caution, I froze a lot of chopped bell peppers and some whole jalapenos after this summers bounty. I have used some but when thawed -they are very soft. Works great in things they are being cooked in - like Soup, stews or casserols. The flavor is good, but I don't think I would use them in something I wanted a still firm pepper in. Onions might be the same because of similar water content.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Freezing onions... by esgunn (I have not frozen on...)
I haven't tried freezing regular onions because I go through them fairly quickly, but I do buy buy the 1 lb bag of frozen onions (and peppers) in the freezer section of the grocery store when they are on sale. They are very handy when I just want a small amount for casseroles and stews. On the other hand, I've gotten tired of buying green onions,using 2 or 3, and having the rest wilt - particularly since the price has gone up over the last few months. So after I use the ones I need immediately I take the kitchen shears and cut up the green parts and put them in a freezer bag. I've had real good luck with them. You lose some of the fragrance, but they stay crispy and taste good. I've also found that I get the best price (about 1/3 the price of regular stores) at our Korean market. Since its further away I only go about once a month, so freezing them works out very well.
  Re: Re: Freezing onions... by aardvarknav (I haven't tried free...)
that's good to know, aardvark - I go thru gr. onions so quickly I've never had a problem.

As Erin mentioned Dale, you want to use the frozen for cooked dishes - I've used them in a pinch in something that doesn't need cooking.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com