Dinner critique
  Re: (...)
Okay, for dinner last night I fixed the Turkey Empanadas with the Carnival Slaw and Poblano-Orange Mojo.

It was fairly simple to put together (lots of julienning)..of course I had started it Monday night. I had everything for the Empanadas chopped up when I got the call about grandma..so that sat in the fridge a couple of days.

I am by no means a pastry chef, and leave it to me to screw up the pastry....I misread the directions and added everything to the flour at the same time. I ended up having to add more water to get it to come into a ball in the food processor. Therefore the texture of the pastry, was kind of stiff.

Everyone like the flavor of the filling. Even the picky one...she kept getting bites out of the skillet.

The Carnival Slaw had lots of different flavors going with all the different veggies/and mango. The kids wouldn't eat it, but DH and I did. It was okay..not something I would fix very often. But it had a nice Latin feel to it. Refreshing.

I didn't really care for the Poblano-Orange Mojo. The orange flavor just didn't taste right with the chilie/cilantro to me. I fixed this towards the last 15 minutes before serving and let it set. It got really thick...almost like paste which was kind of unappetizing. I ended up eating my empanada with salsa instead.

Over all I would rate this dish as a 6. It looks pretty on a plate. Here's a pic:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j59/Bi...C00549.jpg
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Dinner critique by Bizymomma (Okay, for dinner las...)
Tell me that is in Issue 61-----on second thought, WHAAAA!!

Nice pic---sure looks tasty!!! Love the guacomole around the edges---cute idea!! The plating is perfect for the dish!! Well done-
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Dinner critique by Roxanne 21 (Tell me that is in I...)
Wow, that looks great. Sorry you weren't more pleased with it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Dinner critique by Lorraine (Wow, that looks grea...)
What a pretty presentation, Angela! Thanks for sharing the pic and for the review. That's a shame that you didn't enjoy the meal more after all that work. Hope you like the next one better!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Dinner critique by Mare749 (What a pretty presen...)
Presentation, Presentation!!! Looks tastey! I haven't made anything from that issue as yet.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner critique by cjs (Presentation, Presen...)
That's really nice, Angela! The dinner looks wonderful and your presentation is beautiful.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Dinner critique by Half_Baked (That's really nice, ...)
Oh Ang, now I'm hungry for Mexican. Only a few more weeks teehee!!
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Dinner critique by farnfam (Oh Ang, now I'm hung...)
"Only a few more weeks teehee!!" - hey, are you hinting that you're going to Mexico soon??????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner critique by cjs ("Only a few more wee...)
Si Señora!!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Dinner critique by farnfam ( Si Señora!! [img]/u...)
Que suerte!!!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.