Smoked Mozzarella
  Re: (...)
Is all smoked mozzarella really rubbery? Or did I just get a bad one? Wow it is not very good. I sauted up onion, garlic, bell peppers added tomato and spinach to wilt - tossed with the smoked mozzrella and red pepper flakes and then "stuffed" portabello mushrooms and roasted. We love this recipe. Usually I add bacon but was out and had the smoked mozzarella and thought the flavor would be good - which it is - but it is a strong smoked flavor. But it is really rubbery.

This is the first time I have used it, but I know I have many "new to try" recipes that call for it. I am not that certain I want to try them now. Any advice would be appreciated.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Smoked Mozzarella by esgunn (Is all smoked mozzar...)
I can't respond to that particular item but I find that smoked cheeses here have a pretty yucky consistency. I tried the product a couple of times, thinking I had purchased a bad batch--not good at all. Haven't tried again. Maybe it's just the processing?
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Smoked Mozzarella by Roxanne 21 (I can't respond to t...)
Because I'm not that big a fan of smoked cheeses, I can't say I've ever used it in something to melt. I like it well enuf in small bites on a cheese tray with lots of other flavors and that's about it. hmmmmmm.

Over the holidays we had a smoked gouda which was very good and I don't remember the texture being different...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Smoked Mozzarella by cjs (Because I'm not that...)
I use smoked cheese quite a lot, mainly Applewood Smoked Gruyere, but gouda too and yes the consistency is kind of rubbery, but I think the smokey flavor more than makes up for it. I grate it and it seems to melt just fine.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy