Dolce De Lece
  Re: (...)
Has anyone ever made carmel from boiling sweetened condensed milk in the can? I was just watching foodnetwork and the guy on there (Ham on the street I think) made it. His was very creamy. I had forgotten about this. My husband and I made it about 9 years ago. His mother used to make it. Hers was firmer - maybe because we refirigerated it after or maybe me boiled it longer, I don't rember that part. She would make this sombrero dessert - a slice of the carmel, a pineaple ring and whipped topping. Very cute and very yummy. And SOOO easy.

You simmer the cans - unopened - in water to cover for 3 hours - turning every 30 minutes. Remove the label and set them on thier side. Let cool for one hour.

curious to know if anyone else has ever done this? I have only heard about it twice in my life.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Dolce De Lece by esgunn (Has anyone ever made...)
This was much discussed somewhere else. Can't remember where, but Billy or Jean, or Jan will know. It is, apparently, quite the ticket.
Yes Erin, I've made it as well as Jean. Cover the cans with water, bring it to a rolling boil, lower the heat to a simmer and simmer for 3 hours. It isn't necessary to turn the cans while they're simmering, just make sure they're always covered with simmering water. Then cool the can, upright or on its side as you please and then refrigerate. It lasts a long, long time in the frig.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Dolce De Lece by vannin (This was much discus...)
I haven't run across this before. Caramel is not an item on the shelves and I have ordered from Bakers Catalogue in a block in the past.

This sounds easy enough--will keep in mind.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Oh Erin, I had so much fun with this a few years ago! One buffet item that sticks out in my mind, that was instantly gone, was -

Miniature tart shell, a slice of banana, pipe in some ‘dulce de leche’; top with a little whipped cream and a sprinkling of chopped, toasted nuts.

I'll tell you what tho, I found I can't make it unless I have a particular need for it - it's like having nutella in the house, we can't leave it alone!

Would just add (don't think I saw it above) a dish rag to the bottom of the pan before you add the milk can(s) to keep them from rattling and clanging around.

Too bad we didn't talk about this before the holidays - it's such a fun thing to play with for miniature desserts.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dolce De Lece by cjs (Oh Erin, I had so mu...)
My friend went somewhere in South America as an exchange student (at 16 yo). He brought this recipe back with him and we ate it at least once a month, for years.

I bet I haven't made it 25 years.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.