Ham Bone Uses
  Re: (...)
O.K. the ham is either all eaten or pkg'd up and frozen and I just made Ham & Navy Bean soup with the bone. I have two soups I go back and forth between using ham bones - this one and Split Pea.

Anyone have any ideas for using it in a different way? I also have 4 or 6 pkg. of ham hocks in the freezer, so I can play with anything you throw at me!

Jan, or other southerners, do you do anything with ham hocks/bones and grits??? I still have some of those in the freezer also!! (thank you Jan...) The only thing I've used the grits for is a wonderful dish I first tried with Billy and some others at one of our "Last Parties on the Hill" - Shrimp and Grits.

Well, now we've evolved here to include ideas for grits also!!! Bring 'em on.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Ham Bone Uses by cjs (O.K. the ham is eith...)
Use the bone to make a simple stock in which you cook your greens...preferably greens with some substance to them like collards or kale. If I were home I have several Southeron cookbooks, not here though.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Ham Bone Uses by bjcotton (Use the bone to make...)
YOU'RE NOT HOME YET???? O.K., what does UPS do when you're gone??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ham Bone Uses by cjs (YOU'RE NOT HOME YET?...)
I'm sure their profits have dropped substantially since I've been gone.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Ham Bone Uses by bjcotton (I'm sure their profi...)
Strange---I don't think I have used a ham bone for anything BUT Split Pea Soup----interesting question, Jean.

The only other possibility---give it to a neighbors dog to keep it from barking all night???

Just kidding---curious to see ideas cuz I will be cooking a ham soon.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Ham Bone Uses by Roxanne 21 (Strange---I don't th...)
I made this stock over the holidays and used some of it for the black eyed pea soup I made for New Year's Day. I froze the rest for other soups or beans/peas. I think you could use the hocks as well for the stock. This stock is so good that I can just drink it.

Ham Stock

2 Leftover meaty ham bones (can substitute a fresh ham bone if necessary)
Large onion with skin (quartered)
3 cloves of garlic (skin removed but add skin to pot as well)
5 peppercorns
Fresh rosemary
2 bay leaves
Fresh thyme
Some red wine seemed to work well also (not in original recipe)

Cover all the above ingredients with cold water and cook for 3 hours. Take the bones out, remove most of the meat and reserve and return bones to the pot.

Add:

1 large stalk of celery w/ leaves cut in thirds
1 carrot cut in thirds
A little more onion (some ends, etc if available)

Cook for 4 - 5 more hours

Strain, chill and remove fat.
Calliope
  Re: Ham Bone Uses by cjs (O.K. the ham is eith...)
Jean, I wonder if you could boil up the bones with the Coca Cola recipe Nigella Lawson uses to cook a piece of Gammon. She then utilises the liquid for a Black Bean soup. Apparently, she has discovered Cherry Coke is even better but not the diet stuff! The soup has cumin, coriander and lime juice added. Sour cream and fresh cilantro to serve.
I love anything from Nigella and she raves about this.
  Re: Re: Ham Bone Uses by Lyndee (Jean, I wonder if yo...)
Jean, I'm not from the south, although I do love their food! My in-laws are from Pa. and they used the ham bone last week to make ham and lima beans. They use the dried ones. When it's done, it's like a thick bean stew with chunks of ham in it. It's a meal all by itself and real comfort food!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Ham Bone Uses by Lyndee (Jean, I wonder if yo...)
"ham and lima beans" - that would be the same consistency of my ham and navy beans soup - limas, that really sounds good! Good idea.

Lyn - what's gammon? And, I just happened to have gotten Nigella's book for Christmas. And after cooking her ham in the coke, she hated to throw away the ju, so she added some red wine vinegar and cooked cabbage in the mixture. Wow, I bet that was/is good!

Thanks everyone for all the ideas - now I need to go buy another ham!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ham Bone Uses by cjs ("ham and lima beans"...)
Here in Arkansas...a lot of places offer pinto beans cooked down with a ham bone... There's nothing better to me..(and grandma!)
Loving every moment of my life!!