Chicken Pho with Noodles, Fresh Herbs, & Lime
  Re: (...)
Well, since the crew at C@H is still celebrating, here's the recipe for the dinner to be reviewed on Monday, Jan. 15th - per Maryann's choice!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Pho with Noodles, Fresh Herbs, & Lime

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
FOR THE BROTH -- SIMMER:
10 cups water
4 lb. chicken wings
2 onions -- quartered
2 cups celery -- chopped
6 garlic cloves
CHAR -- ADD:
1 cinnamon stiCK (2")
1 star anise pod
1 piece fresh ginger (5") -- halved lengthwise
STIR IN:
12 oz. skinless chicken breast -- thinly sliced
1/2 cup red onion -- thinly sliced
1/2 cup carrot -- shredded
1/4 cup fish sauce
1/4 cup scallions -- green part only, thinly sliced
Juice of 1/2 a lime
FOR THE TOPPINGS -- PREPARE:
4 oz. rice vermicelli -- softened
Butter (bibb) lettuce leaves
2 cups bean sprouts -- rinsed
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup jalapeno or serrano chiles -- thinly sliced
1 lime -- cut into wedges

Simmer water, chicken wings, onions, celery, and garlic (smash cloves with the side of a chef's knife) for the broth in a large pot over low heat for 3 hours. Skim off any foam and fat that rise to the surface.

Char cinnamon, star anise, and ginger over the flame of a gas burner or on the elements of an electric burner on med.-high heat. Charring intensifies their flavors.

Use a spoon to scrape off the blackened skin of the ginger (discard skin). After the broth has simmered for 3 hours, add the ginger and charred spices; simmer 20 more minutes.

Scoop the large pieces from the broth, then strain broth through
a fine sieve; discard solids. Return broth to the pot and bring to a simmer over low heat.

Stir in sliced chicken; simmer until cooked through, 1 0 minutes. So the scallions stay bright, add them off heat along with the red onion, carrot, fish sauce, and lime juice.

Prepare toppings, soaking rice vermicelli; divide noodles between serving bowls.

Fill lettuce leaves with some of the chicken from the soup, arrange on the noodles, then top with broth. Serve the bowls of soup with sprouts, herbs, chiles, and lime wedges on the side for each person to add as desired.

Rice noodles can be easy to overcook, but here's a way to make sure they come out perfect. First, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Submerge the noodles in the water, then remove the pot from heat and soak the noodles for 7-9 minutes. When tender and pliable (eat one to test), drain

Makes ~5 cups broth; total time: 3 ½ hours

Description:
"Cuisine at Home, Issue 61, Feb. 07"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chicken Pho with Noodles, Fresh Herbs, & Lime by cjs (Well, since the crew...)
Thank you Jean. I was planning on typing this whole thing out when I got home today, but you did it for me. Maybe I can return the favor next time?

So.... How do all of you actually do this cooking party? Do you try to fix this dish on the same day, or is the date just for the purposes of everyone's review?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Chicken Pho with Noodles, Fresh Herbs, & Lime by Mare749 (Thank you Jean. I w...)
Maryann,
You can fix the dish any time you want to. That gives everybody the flexibility to participate! We all just post our review on the same day!

Glad you're joining, it's fun!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Chicken Pho with Noodles, Fresh Herbs, & Lime by Bizymomma (Maryann, [br]You can...)
Perfect timing also - as most of you know, I'm culling thru a ton of recipes and right now I'm working on the Asian - tried 'n true and never tried....so I'm looking for side dishes to go with the pho.

Maryann, take it from me, don't make it too soon, 'cause you'll have holes in your tongue from wanting to shout out when it's a great recipe and you can't say anything till the review date...well, unless you Billy J - he cheats.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Pho with Noodles, Fresh Herbs, & Lime by cjs (Perfect timing also ...)
Oh, I won't Jean! It will drive me crazy trying to wait until the 15th to post my review. I'm just the worst "secret-keeper."

This recipe looks like a very flavorful soup, so I'm not worried, but what do you do if you make the recipe early and don't care for it?

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Chicken Pho with Noodles, Fresh Herbs, & Lime by Mare749 (Oh, I won't Jean! I...)
I resemble that remark Jean! It's just that I have these wild, uncontrollable fingers
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Chicken Pho with Noodles, Fresh Herbs, & Lime by bjcotton (I resemble that rema...)
Thanks for the post of the recipe---looks interesting enough.

Billy---??resemble?? CRS working overtime??
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Chicken Pho with Noodles, Fresh Herbs, & Lime by Mare749 (Oh, I won't Jean! I...)
" but what do you do if you make the recipe early and don't care for it? " - that happens also, you keep it to yourself
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Pho with Noodles, Fresh Herbs, & Lime by cjs (" but what do you do...)
Okay, that's what I thought. Wouldn't want someone else to miss out on a really great dish just because my taste buds are off.
Maryann

Re: Re: Chicken Pho with Noodles, Fresh Herbs, & Lime by Mare749 (Okay, that's what I ...)
Just to expound on that a bit, for anyone who might also be new to our dinner parties, you keep it to yourself until review time. Then please review it anyway and say what you didn't enjoy about it and maybe even what changes you think might improve it. We even learn alot when the review is negative, right?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life