Taco salad
  Re: (...)
Well, you all know (maybe not, but you will now) that my Mom and daughter are visiting in Feb--Wendy for a week, Mom for a month. Here is the question:

My Mom's all time favorite salad is Taco Salad and I have not made one of these before. Please post your favorite tried and trues???

Thanks in advance.

Recipe planning for an entire month----YIKES!!! Diabetic and heart healthy I have to keep in mind as well---I love a challenge---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Taco salad by Roxanne 21 (Well, you all know (...)
...and it's summer down there, right?

My favorite(s) Taco Salad are two completely different ones -

one I love is with thousand island dressing - all the usuals, taco shell baked into a bowl, heated refried beans, sauteed beef/pork/chicken pcs.(with a little jalapeno), olives, cheese, red onion, lettuce, tomato - sprinkled with a little green onions and taco sauce or salsa (lots of folks love guacamole and sour cream topping also) and tortilla chips.

Tortilla bowls - grease the outside of a servine size bowl & place on baking sheet upside down, drape tortilla over the bowl. Bake 8-10 min. at 375 F. Let sit 5 min after removing from oven.

or

shoot, my recipes are too torn up right now to find the other one.

But, also I really don't care for purchased taco seasoning, so if you want to season your beef/chik/pork here's a take off of taco seasoning that I like to use.

this is good for 1 lb. of meat-
1 T. flour
1 tsp. chili powder & paprika
3/4 tsp. salt & minced onion
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. each: cayenne,garlic powder and sugar
1/8 tsp. dry oregano

more than you ever wanted to know about taco salads??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Taco salad by cjs (...and it's summer d...)
Roxanne,
My taco salad is similar to Jean's, minus the refried beans (hubbie doesn't like them) and I do add a little thinly sliced green pepper. I layer it with nacho chips and use Catalina dressing for DH. On mine, I use guacamole, salsa, and sour cream since I don't want all the sugar that is in the Catalina.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Taco salad by Mare749 (Roxanne,[br]My taco ...)
Thanks Jean and Maryann---now I have to find some nice photos to see what it is s'posed to look like--NO PROBLEM--I have tons of cookbooks.

Yes---IT IS SUMMER HERE but a very strange one this year. Not as warm, we are getting rain and high winds--unheard of in December---great for the gardens though.
  Re: Taco salad by Roxanne 21 (Well, you all know (...)
Roxanne,

I have a recipe that is decididly unsophisticated and ultra easy. All the teenagers and young adults here (6+assorted SO) love this for parties.

Un-Gourmet Taco Salad

Whipped cream cheese (amount is up to you) mixed with
Taco seasonings- pkged or hand blended , Jeans looks good

Place in bowl, or platter or whatever you're using.

Add:

shredded lettuce
Home made Salsa(or good fresh store made, not commercial)
thinly sliced green onions
sliced black olives
SW seasoned grilled chicken or beef, thinly sliced
hots or other chili peppers
refried beans
shredded jack cheese

Just layer it all on the cream cheese, I like to do 2 thin layers. Sometimes I'll pop it in a warm (not hot) oven for a few minutes.

Serve with tortilla chips, toasted pita wedges or Frito's Scoops , and sour cream and guacamole.

Just another option, sometimes it's nice to have a tried and true super simple recipe in the collection.

PJ

Oh, btw, I make my salsa with V-8 juice. Really jazzes it up.
PJ
  Re: Re: Taco salad by pjcooks (Roxanne,[br][br]I ha...)
PJ, that's what we used to call a "Walking Tostado"!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Taco salad by cjs (PJ, that's what we u...)
Sure looks interesting though---thanks pj---copied and hopefully soon to go into my MC9 file!!!