Greek Meatballs
  Re: (...)
I lost my recipe for Greek Meatballs that I recieved via email. Does anyone have it to share?
  Re: Greek Meatballs by sprattm (I lost my recipe for...)
'Sprat', I hope I'm reading you request correctly. I don't like to post recipe I've not tried, but it sounds like you had one that you liked...so here's one maybe you'll remember if it is similar to yours - good luck.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Greek Keftethes ( Meatballs)
Serving Size : 6

1 medium onion -- minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup soft white bread crumbs
3 egg yolks
2 garlic cloves -- minced
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
2 pounds ground beef
3 tablespoons lemon juice or red wine
fresh ground pepper
fresh oregano

In skillet heat half the oil and half the butter and saute onion until golden. Place in bowl. Add bread crumbs, 1/2 cup water, egg yolks, garlic, salt, oregano and parsley. Mix well. Add ground beef and mix well again. Let stand 30 minutes to blend flavors. ( Often chopped fresh mint or fresh spinach is added to the meatballs mixture.)

Form into one inch balls for appetizers or three inch ovals for entree.

In same skillet heat remaining oil and butter and saute meatballs, turning to brown all sides. Transfer to serving dish. Pour lemon juice or red wine into skillet. Bring to a boil and scrape drippings. Pour over meatballs.

Grind on coarse black pepper. Sprinkle lightly with fresh minced oregano.

-----

Shoot, these look good, I'm going to have to try them!!

Well, duh, you probably meant Greek Meatballs from C@H, huh?? Sorry, didn't think fast enuf - these look good also!
Greek Meatballs
(Cuisine at home, August 2005, Issue 52, p. 36)

Makes: 12 Meatballs Total Time: 1 Hour Rating: Easy

For the Feta Yogurt Dressing —
Combine:
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. black pepper

For the Lemon Couscous —
Bring to a Boil; Add:
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 T. unsalted butter
1/2 t. kosher salt
3/4 cup dry plain couscous

For the Greek Meatballs —
Combine:
1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup milk (whole or 2%)
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
2 T. scallions, minced
1 t. kosher salt
2 t. dried oregano leaves
1 egg, lightly beaten

Stir in:
1 lb. ground chuck
2 T. olive oil

Add:
3/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted, halved
1 T. garlic, minced
1 t. red pepper flakes
6 cups tomatoes, quartered, or 2 cans whole tomatoes (28 oz. each)
Salt and pepper to taste

Serve with:
Lemon Couscous, above
Feta Yogurt Dressing, above
Chopped cucumber
Lemon zest

Related Recipes:

Lemon Couscous

Feta Yogurt Dressing

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Cover and chill until ready to use.

Bring broth, lemon juice, butter, and salt to a boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat, add couscous, stir, and cover. Let stand 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.

Combine crumbs, milk, feta, parsley, scallions, salt, oregano, and egg in a mixing bowl.

Stir in the ground chuck and mix lightly but well. Shape the mixture into balls about 2" in diameter. Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high. Add meatballs and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm.

Add olives, garlic, and pepper flakes to the pan and saute 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and cook 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, return meatballs to the pan, and simmer 5 minutes, or until cooked through.

Serve over couscous, topped with feta dressing and garnished with cucumber and lemon zest.

Nutrition Information (Per 3 meatballs with sauce):
608 calories 55% calories from fat 37g total fat 37g carb. 1381mg sodium 5g fiber 32g protein

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Greek Meatballs by cjs ('Sprat', I hope I'm ...)
WELCOME spratt---that was a nice recipe for Greek meatballs BUT I liked the regular meatball recipe better--have you tried those? Let us have a review of your dish--if you have a moment.

See you again!!!
Roxanne
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy