At The Party
  Re: (...)
we had something called a Ginger Snap Rollup which was filled with a flavored whipped cream type filling. Here is the only recipe I could find for the rollup. For the filling, you are on your own:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rolled Brandy Snaps

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Cakes-Pies-Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup butter -- melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger

Mix well. Ladle the mixture in small heaps, very well spaced, on to a baking sheet. Place in a preheated oven at 350F and bake for 7-8 minutes. Take cookies out of the oven and wrap each one around a wooden spoon handle, pressing them together where they join so that they do not unroll.

Source:
"Larousse Gastronomique pg 115"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: At The Party by bjcotton (we had something cal...)
And here is the tried and true Brandy Snap recipe from NZ.

BRANDY SNAPS

1 Tsp Ground Ginger
3 Tbsps Golden Syrup ( or try the corn syrup if Golden Syrup not available)
1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
75 g Butter
1/2 Cup Flour ( all purpose)

Put ginger, syrup, butter and sugar into a saucepan. Heat gently until butter has melted. Remove from heat and cool a little. Sift flour into pan and stir to combine.
Drop tablespoonsful of mixture onto a baking paper lined tray, no more than 4 at a time. They spread wiiiiiiide!!!
Bake at 150degC for 10 minutes or golden brown. Remove immediately from tray and wrap around a wooden spoon handle to form. You should be able to do two at a time on one handle. If the remaining snaps are firming, place back in oven for a few seconds to soften again before forming.
This recipe makes 12.

We use unsweetened whipped cream mostly. Just pipe into the snaps about 1 hour before serving. Too long ahead of time and the snaps will soften.
Sometimes I dip the ends of the snaps in melted chocolate. Also, you can form wee baskets to contain icecream for eg by draping the cooked snaps over an small upturned bowl or cup.
Billy, Paulie (an old friend) and I made tuiles (or brandy snaps) in Tecumseh years ago. They were fun to make - can't remember exactly what we filled them with, but I remember it was the first time I made and/or worked with orange dust. We made them in little cup/dish form.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: At The Party by cjs (Billy, Paulie (an ol...)
This kind of reminds me of working with pizzelle, minus the eggs. I wonder if this batter could be put into the pizzelle iron?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Billy and Lyndee,

Both sound good and different. Years ago I made tuiles with maple syrup and oatmeal, a recipe I clipped from a 1937 issue of Good Housekeeping or something.

Maybe I'll do both for my cookie tray this year. Thanks for the recipes.

By the way, where's the brandy? Flavoring the whipped cream, maybe?

Jean, what is orange dust? Something I probably should know already, but you-know-what is advancing as quickly as Christmas.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: At The Party by pjcooks (Billy and Lyndee,[br...)
I received a box of these from a friend in NZ and I loved them so much plain that I didn't bother to fill them. I'm very happy to have these recipes.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.