Vinegar -- about the same.
Cornflour -- the white fine stuff
Cream of tartar. Enough.
1 thing of whipping cream
fruit -- whatever.
1 young strong daughter
2 glasses
1 bottle sparkling wine -- champoo, whatever. W

Assemble daughter, chain up her dog. Lure her with sinful morning bubbles. Get her to gather unmeasured ingredients so you can criticize her procedure at will. Slap her back.

She will beat the egg whites and boiling water with no mercy, until they are wondrously white and fluffy, but by no means dry. Add sugar in dollops and continue beating, chuck in the cornflour, and every thing else excepting daughter, glasses and wine.. Beat until very thick and silky, shiny. Pile as high as you are able on buttered foil or baking paper, these little suckers will spread, depends how much cornflour you use I suppose. Bake at about 300 C until the crispy feel comes on the outside. It will brown a bit. Turn it down to about 100 C and have a lie down. Check it when daughter says Muuuuummmmmmmmm. It will be done, you will know.

The thing with Pavlovas. (unless they are the commercial ones with stabilizers and things) there will always be a falling away of the top crust and the Marshmallow interior. I find this useful for pouring in a wee bit of custard made from the yokes, and fruit, just little bits, all cold of course. Or perhaps more unsweetened whipped cream, such a palate soother. Or perhaps you could make flatter ones and sandwich them. As per Tricia.

I don't think you can do anything to mess things up, it is a good idea to have the top flat to aid the decoration (traditionally whipped cream passionfruit and kiwi) but anything does. Slap daughter again for her perfect presentation, and get a big fat kiss in return.

Billy love, everyone has THE recipe for no fail Pavlova. I personally use this one.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pavlova PYATT

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts-Ices

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 large egg whites
1 1/2 cups superfine granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup boiling water
1 cup heavy cream
3 cups assorted seasonal fruit such as raspberrie

Preheat oven to 350° F. and line a large baking sheet with foil.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat together whites, sugar, cornstarch, vinegar, and vanilla on low speed until just combined. Add boiling water all at once and beat on high speed 3 to 5 minutes, or until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks.

Spoon meringue mixture onto baking sheet and spread into a 9- to 10-inch circle. Bake Pavlova in middle of oven 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 200° F. and bake Pavlova 40 minutes more. Turn off oven and let Pavlova stand in oven 1 hour. Transfer Pavlova to a rack and cool completely. (Pavlova will be hard on outer surface and soft inside.)

In a bowl with cleaned beaters beat cream until it holds soft peaks and spread over Pavlova. Mound fruit on top of whipped cream.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

I have use several different recipes with no problem of them being dry. Just don't over beat the egg whites.

Description:
"Quietwolf"

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pavlova The Master's Way

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts-Ices

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 egg whites
3/4 cup sugar
3 tsp cornstarch
few drops vanilla essence
good pinch cream of tartar
2 tsp vinegar

Line bottom and sides of a 18-20cm spring form pan with baking parchment, sprinkle with 1 each tbsp of sugar and arrowroot, saving a little to sprinkle on top.

Put egg whites,cream of tartar and vanilla essence into a bowl ( never use plastic bowls or tools), beat until firm and snowy.

Mix the sugar and cornflour together, and fold the mixture into the egg white mix, taking the spoon to the bottom of the mixing bowl each time.
As soon as the sugar and cornflour are mixed in, add the vinegar. Mixture should be very stiff.
Pile into lined pan, smoothing a little. Sprinkle with rest of sugar/arrowroot mixture.

Heat an oven on full for 15 minutes, before putting Pavlova in the oven, then turn it down as low as it can go. Use middle shelf of oven.
If the Pavlova shows a faint hint of brown after 15 minutes in the oven, the temperature is correct. Cook for 1 1/2 hours, if it browns too much, turn oven off completely. Re-light after 15 minutes.

When cooked, remove from pan. Remove paper, turn upside down onto serving platter. It should be crunchy on the outside, and marshmallow soft and chewy inside. Decorate as desired, cream, fruit etc etc.

A variation on the cream and fruit is lemon cream filling, or kahlua cream. Or the latest fad, a chocolate pav with raspberries, divine.

Description:
"Tricia"

Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Pavlova by bjcotton (Here's a recipe I go...)
I used Dale's for my sister's party last spring. It was huge, and not a piece left!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Pavlova by Lorraine (I used Dale's for my...)
Tricia's??? And J.R.'s??? Those have to be good.

geez, Lorraine, I hope you didn't really make Dales!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pavlova by cjs (Tricia's??? And J.R....)
Well, it was one from Dale, but now that I read this one, the ingredients are a bit different, but the methodology is kind of the same. ;smirk: Mine had a line that read "Can be a bit of a pig to make on a humid day"
  Re: Re: Pavlova by Lorraine (Well, it was one fro...)
Pavlova with Raspberries, Passionfruit and Glass Bark

For the Meringue:
6 egg whites
Pinch of salt
1 ¾ cups caster (superfine) sugar
2 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract, or to taste

For the filling:
1 ¼ cups heavy cream
4 passionfruits, flesh scooped out
2 cups raspberries

For the glass bark:
½ cup caster sugar

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. To make the meringue, in a bowl, combine the egg whites and salt and beat until firm, shiny peaks form. Gradually beat in about ¾ of the sugar and then continue to beat until stiff and glossy. Fold in the vinegar, vanilla and remaining sugar.

Cut out a 12 inch circle of parchment paper. Wet on one side under the tap. Shake off excess water. Place the paper, damp side up, on a heavy baking tray. Spoon the egg white mixture onto the paper, smoothing it out to a 10 inch round. Using a spatula, shape the mixture so the sides and top are straight and level.

Bake in the center of the oven until crisp on the outside and just set in the center, 1 ¼- 1 ½ hours. Remove from the oven and invert onto a serving platter. Carefully remove the paper and let cool.

To make the filling, in a bowl, beat the cream until soft peaks form. Spoon the cream on top of the meringue and spread with a spatula. Push the passionfruit flesh through a fine mesh sieve and stir half of the seeds back into the resulting juice. Drizzle over the top of the pavlova and then scatter the raspberries on top.

To make the glass bark, preheat a broiler on high. Using a flavorless oil, lightly oil the back of a baking tray. Lightly wipe off the oil with a tissue. Sieve the sugar over the back of the tray. Place under the broiler until melted and golden. Watch the sugar carefully as it burns quickly. Remove from the broiler and let stand until completely cool.

Spread a sheet of parchment paper on a work surface. Tap the baking tray hard over the paper, so that the glass bark falls off in shards. Break into appropriately sized pieces and stick into the top of the pavlova. Cut into wedges and serve.

Serves 8

From the Beautiful Cookbook Series----AUSTRALIA

This is one of those WOW THEM recipes. You can use any fruit available—maybe frozen raspberries for the passionfruit (also known as granadilla, can be bought in cans) and blueberries for the fresh raspberries. Kiwi fruit is also a pretty color addition—

Very simple and very impressive!! OHHH___YUMMY TOO!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Roxanne's Pavlova by Roxanne 21 (Pavlova with Raspber...)
O.K. that's four (right?) to play with - thanks Roxanne!

"Can be a bit of a pig to make on a humid day"

Sounds more like a Triciaism than a J.R.ism, doesn't it??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roxanne's Pavlova by cjs (O.K. that's four (ri...)
Jean, it was Dale'ism!!!

The glass bark sounds great. Just think of all the desserts you can use it on!!!! Thank you!!!!
  Re: Roxanne's Pavlova by Roxanne 21 (Pavlova with Raspber...)
I'm going to try it with my torch, I have much more control than in the broiler. Sounds like fun.

Tracie & I made a version of this a couple years ago, pictures somewhere, what a riot that was!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roxanne's Pavlova by cjs (I'm going to try it ...)
Here is another Pavlova recipe to throw into the equation!
This is a Roll, cooked for 15 minutes only so can be whipped up very very quickly. The outside will not be crisp as the trad Pav, but this is a gorgeous thing, decorates beautifully and slices like a dream.

Pavlova Roll

Beat 4 egg whites until stiff. Add 1 tsp cornstarch and beat again. Add 2 tsps malt vinegar (or white)and 6 tbsps sugar, beat until stiff and glossy. Fold in a further 2 tbsps sugar. Spread into a baking paper lined swiss roll tin and cook in a moderate pre heated oven for 15 minutes.

Have a sheet of baking paper ready to turn Pav Roll out onto, sprinkled with caster sugar or coconut. Peel paper off Pav and turn out onto sugared paper, allow to cool. Spread with unsweetened whipped cream and fresh berries or fruit of choice, using paper to help you, roll up from long end and chill with paper left around Pav. When ready to serve, remove paper, carefully place on serving tray.
Decorate with rosettes of cream, more fruit, drizzle with a coulis, chocolate curls are nice. Whatever you fancy.!

Easy.

Edited: Because I need to turn the Pav out THEN peel paper off!...lolol. So please note my mistake.
  Re: Re: Roxanne's Pavlova by Lyndee (Here is another Pavl...)
Now that sounds nice and easy---hmmmm...just what I need---ANOTHER dessert idea----
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy