The Butcher Shop - This is Billy
  Re: (...)
We stopped by the local butcher's shop yesterday for Carol and I to buy some meat. I looked, but couldn't find a whole loin like I buy at home. I asked if they had one and the butcher said yes of course. He brought one out that weighed about 4 pounds and still had the ribs attached. He asked if this was large enough and I had to stop and think a moment. I said it was, but I wanted the loin cut from the ribs and wrap the ribs with it. The man was trying not to laugh as was Shane. I hear that is not the way people buy meat here. In addition Carol bought a large brisket and something else. We were being looked at like we were a couple of village idiots. Later Shane said the loin I'd bought would feed a family of 10. I was planning on cutting the loin in about 1 1/2" thick, brining them and then frying or broiling them. Aparently a chop that big is not done here. So I guess we'll cut it in half, use half for chops and half for a roast. Carol is planning on making Corned Beef and Cabbage. What we "normally" cook would feed an army here. The bones from the loin will apparently make another meal or two.

When we going into stores/shops here we are often looked at like village idiots since what we spend/buy at home is just too much here or not for sale locally. I don't mind, I enjoy looking and asking for prices, area of manufacture, etc., even if I do appear as the village person. Doesn't bother me at all. Imagine how I looked when I went shopping for a 3 lb can of coffee...No, I don't want that little bag, do you have Columbian?, how do you fix that?, oh, isn't that interesting...what is it? is it edible? Things just fascinate me...even the corsetry shop. The knife shop had load and loads of different knives, a meat cleaver that you'd use to cut the local bridge in half, machetes, etc. Wonderful store. I guess I kind of strayed off the butcher's shop?
  Re: The Butcher Shop - This is Billy by vannin (We stopped by the lo...)
Nobody thinks Billy or Carol are the village idiots. They think they are lovely!!!! So there.
  Re: The Butcher Shop - This is Billy by vannin (We stopped by the lo...)
reminds me of when we lived in Venezuela (1980-1982). One went to the butcher shop and purchased 1/4 of a steer. You had to tell them how to cut it up for you and watched the whole process. You had to pull up a stool to a U-shaped bar and then tell the butcher how to proceed. This was at least a 2-hour experience.

I'm going to Chile for the month of February, so I'll be able to tell you about that when I get back.
  Re: Re: The Butcher Shop - This is Billy by vannin (Nobody thinks Billy ...)
I love the stories, Billy and know exactly what you mean about the meat. People in Spain and Germany thought I was buying for a brigade.

Obviously we eat way too much meat in the old USA....boy, that's an understatement. The rest of the world is so much healthier and fit.

Keep on writing! Tell us about the veggies and fruit.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: The Butcher Shop - This is Billy by Half_Baked (I love the stories, ...)
Yes, Billy, keep the stories coming, they're great!

I'm curious about the kitchen tools and appliances used there. Like, what kind of toaster do they use, things like that.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: The Butcher Shop - This is Billy by Mare749 (Yes, Billy, keep the...)
They use much the same kitchen tools as we do, so that is not too much different. The appliances are: 6 burner Blue Seal gas range, 4 burner Simpson Mercury electric stove, Roband griddle, Roband double deep fryer, Kambrook toaster, Rheem Lazer instant boiling water, Mitsubishi microwave, Hobart dishwasher, Skope double refrigerator with glass doors, DeLonghi toaster oven, Silex sandwich grill [Shane says it's about 20 years old and works real well], and their scales are made by Charles Brecknell of England. I'm sure they have others I haven't seen yet, but those are the ones in the immediate kitchen. They hate the oven on the Blue Seal and use the one on the electric stove. How's that?

We were going to do pork chops tonight, but it's getting late, so I don't know what we'll do. I'm more tired than hungry now. So, I'll go have some French Vanilla ice cream to help me feel better Ice cream always makes me feel better, whether it's an ache in my toe, a cold or whatever
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: The Butcher Shop - This is Billy by bjcotton (They use much the sa...)
Thanks Billy, very interesting. Mostly different brand names than what we know here, except for a few. You must feel like a kid in a toy store, I know I would!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: The Butcher Shop - This is Billy by bjcotton (They use much the sa...)
this is fun, Billy!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The Butcher Shop - This is Billy by cjs (this is fun, Billy!...)
This morning Shane made us brekky [usually does...make that always does]. He and I had a slice of ham, two hamburger patties, mashed potatoe pattie [about 1" thick and 3-4 across] and 2 eggs. I ate most of it and then went and took a 2 1/2 hour nap
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: The Butcher Shop - This is Billy by bjcotton (This morning Shane m...)
Gracious me Billy...that's quite a breakfast! Now wake up and hit the stores for your drip coffee maker.

xoxox
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.