Soft Shell Tacos
  Re: (...)
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjd...SHELLS.jpg

A gal on another forum posted the below recipe for taco shells and it seemed so off the wall, that naturally I had to try them. They are great! Just use them as you would a corn tortilla for tacos. They really are just a sturdier crepe, so they can be a little messy, but they have to be so much healthier than commercial tortillas – I even used powdered milk in the batter, so how bad could they possible be??

Soft Taco Shells

1 1/2 cups milk
1 egg
1 cup flour (or 1 ¼ cups flours-I used just one cup)
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 pinch salt

Whisk egg in the milk; add the flour and stir till well blended. Add in the cornmeal and stir till evenly distributed. This should be quite runny, don't be afraid to add more milk as needed.

Pour about 1/4 - 1/3 cup batter in very hot, oiled frying pan and rotate pan to coat the bottom with the batter. When the top starts to look dry all over its time to flip. Repeat until you've used all the batter.

(One thing to remember, the cornmeal doesn't dissolve so when you are dipping the batter be sure to go all the way to the bottom to get it.)

This amount usually feeds 4 family members or 2 ravenous adults. Enjoy!
Notes from Alix on subsequent postings:

P.S. when I made these tonight I realized that my 1 cup of flour is not a level one. So it is likely more like 1 1/4 cups flour.

Alix, Discuss Cooking posted on 11/28/06
It makes 12 six inch shells.

It’s like a thick crepe, so when you are making them keep that particular texture in mind. I make mine in my 6 inch frying pan as I don't have a crepe pan. I have tried them in my 10 inch frying pan and they work well there too. We just prefer them smaller as they can be a touch messy. LOL.

Our family tacos always had lettuce, tomato, olives, cheese & onions and whatever meat filling we had handy. When I made taco shells, I played with the chicken filling and was quite pleased with the results, so copied them down instead of thinking I would remember…
What a treat they were - there were three left after stuffing ourselves and Roy ate those also sprinkled with just a little salt.

I tossed together 2 chicken breasts, raw and cut up bite-size with:
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. grd. cumin
1/8 tsp. each - garlic powder and cayenne

Brown the chicken in just a tad of oil; remove from skillet and keep warm.

To the pan, add one (14 1/2oz.) can of diced tomatoes, 1 jalapeno minced up (seeds and membrane included), 1 T. golden Tequila and cook that down a little, about 15 min.

Add the chicken back to the pan along with a cornstarch/water slurry to thicken it up a bit for the taco shells.

What a great dinner this all made. Thank you, Alix - it was fun too!
----
While we were in Medford with Tracie (madmax) she insisted we have them again – and they were good again. This time tho, with the leftovers, we ate them like Lefse (for all you little Norwegians out there) with butter and sugar – oh my, that was good also!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Soft Shell Tacos by cjs ([url=http://i3.photo...)
That looks good, Jean. I'm glad you showed me a picture. Does the cornmeal stand out as a flavor or is it texture...maybe both?
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Soft Shell Tacos by Half_Baked (That looks good, Jea...)
both, I think.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Soft Shell Tacos by cjs ([url=http://i3.photo...)
Yum! Thanks for sharing this.