Walnut-Raisin Rugelach
  Re: (...)
WALNUT- RAISIN RUGELACH

About 60 pieces

Rugelach are one of the most popular Jewish pastries in the US. Often made with a simple cream cheese pastry, these little filled crescents melt in your mouth. Crescent-shaped cookis became very popular in Vienna as the shape became the symbol of Austrian victory over the Turks, in the late 17th century, but this cookie may well have its origins in the Middle East and Sephardic communities. The fillings can vary from poppy seed to cinnamon and walnuts, to cheese or chocolate or commonly raspberry or apricot preserves.

Cream Cheese Pastry
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
½ pound cream cheese, softened
1 TBS sugar
2-3 TBS sour cream
2 cups all purpose flour
¼ tsp salt

Filling
¾ cup golden raisins
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
2 tsps ground cinnamon
1/3 cup sugar

Milk for glazing
2 TBS sugar mixed with ½ tsp cinnamon for sprinkling

In a large bowl with electric mixer (or by hand), cream butter and cream cheese together until well blended, Add sugar and beat until smooth, then beat in sour cream and mix in flour and salt until a soft dough is formed. Shape into a ball and flatten to disc. Wrap dough well and refrigerate until dough is firm, at least two hours. (My trick; I place the dough right from the mixing bowl into a gallon size zip lock bag and seal. Then I press on the outside of the baggie to make an even layer of dough---no extra mess. The dough can be quite sticky at this point and not easy to work with.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 2 large cookie sheets. In a small bowl, toss raisins and walnuts with the cinnamon and sugar to mix. Set aside.

Place dough on a lightly floured surface and cut into quarters; work with one quarter at a time. (I find it easier to work the dough at room temp—you can, of course, keep the remainder of the dough in the fridge until you are ready to use. Now here is where my zip lock comes in handy for the second time; just slice ¼ of the baggie with the dough from the full disc and you will have equal portions to work with, peel the plastic off (you don’t need that---LOL). Roll out the dough (the quarter) 1/8 inch thick. Using a 10 inch plate or bottom of 10 inch tart pan, cut dough into a 10 inch circle. Sprinkle dough with about one fifth of the filling to within 1 inch of the edge.

With a long-bladed, sharp knife, cut dough circle into 10-12 equal wedges. Starting at the curved edge, roll up each wedge jelly-roll fashion. Place each on cookie sheet, point side down (to keep filling from escaping) about 1 inch apart, curving ends down to form a crescent shape.

Brush each crescent with a little milk and sprinkle with a little sugar cinnamon mixture.

Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough and reroll trimmings to make extra cookies. Store in an airtight container. These will disappear as each person passes by the container—you may want to hide some if you want one!!!!

VARIATIONS

Raspberry-Almond Rugelach
Combine 1 cup ground blanched almonds with 1 cup raspberry preserve. Spread 1/5 of the mixture on dough circle before cutting into wedges—shape and bake as above.

Poppy Seed Rugelach
Use 1 ¼ cups canned poppy seed filling as above.

NOTE: I have NOT made the variations—the walnut/raisin is just TOO GOOD!!!

This is from
New Jewish Cooking
The Authentic Cooking of Modern and Traditional Recipes

Elizabeth Wolf Cohen

The recipe itself is MUCH easier than it appears---don’t be intimidated. Do set aside a few hours the first time you make—next time is easier by a long shot!!!
These are always on my Channukah/Christmas “to make” list!!!

Confused??? Please ask any question, any time!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy