Pork Pie for JP et al
  Re: (...)
I had promised to post another recipe for a pork / meat pie, and here it is.

This is a recipe for Cipaille, or Cipate. It is normally served on Christmas Eve in Quebec.My relatives still make it and there are as many recipes for it as there are for Mac & Cheese. It used to be made primarily with game, which is very abundant in Quebec. The following recipe calls for 6 lbs of mixed meats, normally, venison, moose, rabbit, partridge, quail,and some pork. If you can't get game, you can sub chicken, beef, pork. Some recipes call for pastry only on top, others top and bottom crusts, and the more traditional ones have layers of pastry between the layers of meat and potatoes.

6 lbs boneless meat of your choice
4 medium onions, coarsely chopped
1/4 lb salt pork, thinly sliced
2 cups, peeled, cubed, potatoes
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp mixed spices (ground cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice)
2 cups chicken stock (app)
Pastry for double crust pie.

Cut meat into 1 inch cubes and place in large bowl. Combine with onions, cover and refridgerate for at least 12 hours or overnight.

Arrange salt pork evenly in the bottom of a 3 qt casserole, preferably cast iron with a lid. Layer with 1/3 the meat mixture and 1/3 of the potatoes, season with 1/3 the salt, pepper, and spices. Roll out 1/2 the pastry, slightly thicker than for a normal pie and arrange on the potatoe layer, cutting a small hole in the centre. Repeat with 2 more layers of meat and potatoes seasoned with the salt, pepper, and spices. Cover with the remaining pastry, cutting a small hole in the centre.

Slowly add enough chicken stock through the hole until liquid appears. Cover dish and bake in a pre-heated 400F oven for 45 minutes, or until liquid simmers. Reduce temperature to 250F and continue to bake, covered, for 5-6 hours or until top crust is deep golden brown.

Last year, on the way to my Mom's, we stopped at an upscale store and I bought one. It was made with duck, quail, partridge and pork. Unfortunatley, I left it at my sisters, and they ate it as a midnight snack. They said it was fabulous!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Pork Pie for JP et al by Lorraine (I had promised to po...)
Thank you so much! This looks so good, and I love the tradional technique. Duck, quail, partridge and pork-wow, that version sure sounds good.

Have you made this yourself? How does the middle crust turn out?

Copied and printed, 3 hole punched and reinforced- ready to go into the binder.

Can't wait to try this!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Pork Pie for JP et al by pjcooks (Thank you so much! ...)
"Pork Pie for JP "
And PJ!

I've made it with my Mom a few times. She usually has game in her freezer. The dough in the middle, because of the stock, ends up being more noodle like. If you try it, I hope you like it!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.