White cheddar soup and mu shu wontons
  Re: (...)
Forgive me if these recipes were discussed in another thread. My sister had a little Christmas cocktail party this evening. A few of the things she served were from Cuisine At Home. She made the Mu Shu Wontons from the Dec. '06 issue. They were really very good and just as attractive as they look in the photograph. A little difficult to eat as a pick up item because they are crisp and sort of fall apart. She made them in mini muffin pans, but they were still somewhat large. My Mom and I decided they might be a little better in the frozen phyllo dough cups. Also, don't fill them until you are close to serving them. They bottom get a little moist while sitting. We had extras ready to reload the platter and they were a little moist. We would serve them again as they were different and tasty as well as very pretty on the table.

We also passed white cheddar soup in demitasse cups from the Oct. 2004 issue. This soup is just delicious and was especially welcome on a cold night. Several folks asked for seconds. We served it with a little French bread butter toasty on the saucer.

Both of these recipes are keepers. I'm not sure whether the soup made it in the Splendid Soups book as I can't put my fingers on mine right now. It seems to be lost! I know there's a cheddar soup recipe in the book, but I don't know if it's the white cheddar.
Calliope
  Re: White cheddar soup and mu shu wontons by Calliope (Forgive me if these ...)
I agree on the WonTon cups - I served them at a party in November and they were great.

Will have to check out the White Cheddar Soup - sounds good and what a nice way to serve it at a party.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: White cheddar soup and mu shu wontons by cjs (I agree on the WonTo...)
I'm trying the won ton cups this weekend, they sure do look pretty. If someone finds the recipe for the white cheddar soup, I would love to try that as well. Great suggestion for serving the soup! Thanks.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: White cheddar soup and mu shu wontons by Mare749 (I'm trying the won t...)
OKAY!!! I won't be a spoiled brat and go WHAHWAWHAAAAHHH!!! just because I haven't received my issues yet!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: White cheddar soup and mu shu wontons by cjs (I agree on the WonTo...)
Quote:

I agree on the WonTon cups - I served them at a party in November and they were great.

cjs, did you find them little awkward to eat while standing. I had to catch the crumbling won ton pieces when I took the first bite and some of the filling fell out also. We thought we might cut some of the ingredients a bit smaller as well for easier eating in the cocktail party setting. I love the recipe and I think it would still be attractive in the phyllo cups with some of the color on top. What do you think?
Calliope
  Re: Re: White cheddar soup and mu shu wontons by Calliope ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Hmmmm, I remember handing out napkins with the wontons, so maybe folks automatically held them under while eating. I know I did with no problem. But I do wonder since you mentioned using Phyllo cups whether they would crumble even more?? Let me know if you try that...I'll make note.

Aren't they good little goodies??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: White cheddar soup and mu shu wontons by cjs (Hmmmm, I remember ha...)
They are wonderful! I thought maybe the phyllo cups would be easier since they were smaller. It was the little "wings" of the wonton which sort of hang over the muffin cup that really cracked. We'll just have to experiment. We may serve them for Christmas Eve,so perhaps we will experiment then. The flavor is great and needs no changes.
Calliope