Does Your Mind Play With You?
  Re: (...)
Every so often my mind bugs the h&ll out of me about "things." This morning I was sitting in my chair thinking about the upcoming turkey preparation tomorrow. I was thinking of how I could somehow lift the turkey and stuffing up a couple of inches so the grease and juices would gather in the bottom rather than saturating everything. I do this every time I make turkey and stuffing. When my reasoning finally returns I remind myself that my family would NOT be happy if I succeeded in doing this. After I remove the turkey from the pan and most of the dressing, I use a basting bulb to get as much juice/grease out as I can. Then I lift the pan and drain the rest. Those that are standing around waiting then attack the pan, chip out that crusty stuffing around the edged and then pick at the soggy stuff in the bottom. It looks like a flock of vultures around a carcass I don't know why my mind wants to go through this exercise every time there's a turkey to be cooked. Does your mind do this type of thing to you?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Does Your Mind Play With You? by bjcotton (Every so often my mi...)
Billy - anyone who EVER tried that in my kitchen would never get thru the front door again!!! That's what I make my gravy in - the roaster with all the good goop!!

That's almost sacrilege... It's at least anti-American!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Does Your Mind Play With You? by cjs (Billy - anyone who E...)
I put my turkey on a rack so that all of the goop sits on the bottom and the turkey is nice and crispy ALL OVER!!! The stuffing that oozee and the rest of the "stuff" goes forward to an awesome gravy!!! AND--it's easier to remove the turkey from the roasting pan----- can't wait for the lurker tomorrow!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Does Your Mind Play With You? by cjs (Billy - anyone who E...)
I'm with Jean on this one. Anyone tried to get to my fond would find a wooden spoon whacking at them.

Insofar as my mind playing with me - it seems that my mind likes to play Hide and Seek. It does explain why I walk around calling "Marco?!"
  Re: Re: Does Your Mind Play With You? by DFen911 (I'm with Jean on thi...)
I use the grease/juice for gravy, but never thought of using that gooey yukky stuff in the bottom. Guess I'll make them wait this year while I scrape some of that stuff out. There would be a revolution if I kept them from the crusty stuff around the edge though.

Billy
  Re: Re: Does Your Mind Play With You? by DFen911 (I'm with Jean on thi...)
"It does explain why I walk around calling "Marco?!" "

Polo!!!

Give it a try Billy, bet you love it!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Does Your Mind Play With You? by bjcotton (Every so often my mi...)
All the time, Billy. Might be because we love to cook, we're always looking for new and better methods and/or ways to solve problems and organize our time.

Anyway, I have the king of turkey roasters. It belonged to my grandmother, then my mom and now me. It will comfortably house my 23 lb. turkey in the morning, where it will sit on a nifty rack with handles to lift it out when it's done. After the turkey has been put on a platter, the rack goes back into the pan with some giblet broth to deglaze, then I pull it out and finish making the gravy. That's how my mom and grandmom did it. I'll bet you could find one of these old roasters at a garage sale or the salvation army. Most people don't like to wash them these days and just buy disposable roasters.

BTW, we're all counting on you to have the best holiday story to tell. Have fun.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Does Your Mind Play With You? by Mare749 (All the time, Billy....)
Mary Ann....HOLY KA-MOLY! 23 pounds!!! Geez girl, how long does that one have to bake?? LOL

I bought 2 7 lb. breasts to fix for Sage's 2nd grade class feast. Put them in the convection on 235 and they cooked in 70 minutes!!! I couldn't believe it!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Does Your Mind Play With You? by Bizymomma (Mary Ann....HOLY KA-...)
Angela, the wrapping on my turkey says 6 to 7 hours. Had that bad boy in the oven by 9 a.m. Now I can sit around, drink coffee and watch the parade for a while. I love Thanksgiving morning! Have a fun day.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Does Your Mind Play With You? by Mare749 (Angela, the wrapping...)
I have one of those roasters Maryann. I think it's stamped 1919 or somewhere around there. My 22 pound bird has extra room in there. I can't remember who borrowed that pan, but they let the insert with the handles sit for a couple of weeks outside before they washed it. Ruined the insert. I found this one at a garage sale about 15 years or so ago. Love it! BARELY fits in the oven.

Billy