Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal)
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by pjcooks ([quote[img]/ubbthrea...)
I can't believe I've never served it with a cranberry chutney. As kids, we ate it with ketchup, or my Mother's green tomato pickles. It was standard fare Christmas Eve when we got home from midnight mass.

Back to the ketchup (which is what most of my family eats with it). How about a smoked tomato something? Smoke the tomatoes and onions, then the spices, vinegar. Kind of like ketchup, but homemade. Hello Jean???
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by Lorraine (I can't believe I've...)
I know a few cretins myself Lorraine. Want me to give you a few names?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
HUCKLEBERRY KETCHUP!!!

O.K., it's printed out and I have everything I need for it, so I will do it this weekend (as Californians say) fer sure.

Just noticed this - that's hilarious, Lorraine!!! Not only do I have the ingredients, I have the glasses also!!!

"After years of making them, I've learned a few things. a white wine makes a small turnover that is great for a more upscale party. a red wine glass gives a 2-3 bite turnover. A martini glass makes a good size if they are part of a meal.'

So, Tourtiere Turnovers, Leek and something pie, Caribbean Chix Salad, Tostones (yeah, sure I'm going to find plaintains here), Black bean soup,Rice & Beans - how the heck am I going to do all this before Monday a.m.???????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Lorraine and pj

thanks for the help and recipe - heard about this for
years. thanks for sharing.
marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by mjkcooking (Lorraine and pj[br][...)
Well now, I finally made these little goodies!! it's amazing, almost every country/ethnic group has their version of this, don't they/we??? I was reminded of Bierox that I made for years, but with burger rather than pork. Now I want to try bierox with sausage and these seasonings. (Filling wrapped in bread dough - they look like dinner rolls)

We really enjoyed them, Lorraine - and we must have had 6 little 'plops' of salsa/chutneys/etc. on our plates to try with them - the winnner???? Basil pesto mixed with Garlic Pineapple Salsa (they mixed on the plate). Boy, was that good!

And, beause I had leftover heavy cream and I had to cook up some potatoes anyway, I also made my Grandma's Lefse.....just a half batch. What a day of pigging out - I'm not keeping to the 'weigh in schedule' this Friday, that's for sure!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by Lorraine (Pastry[br][br]4 cups...)
Lorraine, or anyone, have you made these (or can they be "successfully" made) with sausage, like removing the meat from the casings of Italian or Polish sausage??? These sound fantastic, something my son would love, but right now with my body being all banged up, I'm looking for "short-cuts". (cannot drive, so getting to the store is out & right now, have to work with what is on hand). Thanx!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by MUSICMAKER (Lorraine, or anyone,...)
I think sausage will work just fine!!
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by MUSICMAKER (Lorraine, or anyone,...)
I probably don't need to say this, but I'd cut back a little on the seasonings.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by cjs (I probably don't nee...)
Thanks, all. And thanks, Jean, for the reminder of the seasonings. Something I probably would have overlooked.

BTW, I posted the quick puff pastry recipes under a separate post, which you probably already noticed.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by MUSICMAKER (Thanks, all. And t...)
" I posted the quick puff pastry recipes under a separate post "

I can't find it! Help!

Ooops, you were still typing it. Thanks.