Le Creuset
  Re: (...)
I have been looking at the Le Creuset cookware. Does anyone have any experience with this cookware? If so what are the pros and cons. What are your favorite pieces?

Thanks in advance for sharing your perspective.

PW
  Re: Le Creuset by wheatleyp1 (I have been looking ...)
I have 3 pieces of this cookware (contest winnings from work) and was so thrilled when I got them. Very good quality, but to be perfectly honest, my favorite two pieces in my kitchen are Lodge cast iron, one is a dutch oven and the other a huge frying pan which I have had for over 30 years. You really have to be careful with LeCreuset because the enamel can chip. Have fun cooking!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Le Creuset by Mare749 (I have 3 pieces of t...)
I have several pieces (old and newer) and am very pleased with it. No problems here. The dutch ovens, grill pan, and buffet casserole pieces are the items I use the most.

I also have the Lodge enamel and it is just as nice, IMHO.

I hope this helps you. I would suggest you go do some "hands on" lifting as they are heay items and only get more so when full.
A number of years ago, I remember looking longingly at this cookware, but decided to stay with my cast iron pieces and my AllClad.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Le Creuset by cjs (A number of years ag...)
I would never give up my regular cast iron!! The enamel does come in handy for the acidic recipes and I just can't justify more cookware or afford All Clad. I would love to cook with the All Clad, though!
In a past life I had a full set, various frying pans, pots and a dutch oven. The frying pans didn't last very long, they all chipped. What I loved and still miss is the dutch oven. If they weren't so expensive, I'd buy another one! But, it sure was heavy when filled.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Le Creuset by Lorraine (In a past life I had...)
I am taking my new set of T-Fal cookware back today and getting a off brand Dutch oven that is similar to LeCreuset. I don't like to use my cast iron Dutch ovens with acidic recipes, but cast iron is like no other.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Le Creuset by bjcotton (I am taking my new s...)
Billy, I have a piece like the one you are buying today, I just can't think of the name of it right now, but I think it's just as good as the LeCreuset, except I did get a chip in it. Fortuntely, it's not in a place that matters.

What happens when you cook acidic foods in your cast iron?
I had used mine for about 10 years before I ever heard of that, and have always wondered what that was all about. I cook chili, spaghetti sauce, stew, you name it, in mine. Too dumb to know better, I guess. I don't remember my instructions for seasoning saying anything about that, or maybe I just missed it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Le Creuset by Mare749 (Billy, I have a piec...)

What happens when you cook acidic foods in your cast iron?

It creates a chemical reaction. More than that, I can't tell you as I barely passed Science 101. I know that when I make chutneys etc, the recipes all say to use a non reactive pot, and to avoid cast iron. so, I just do as I'm told.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Le Creuset by Mare749 (Billy, I have a piec...)
I have over 40 pieces of LeCreuset ranging from the huge 7 qt. Dutch oven to the creamer and sugar bowl. I love this stuff and my husband encouraged me to buy it whenever I was withing 40 miles of an outlet store. Except for my 2 Farberware skillets I cook exclusively with cast iron, both Lodge and LeCreuset. Nothing cooks like cast iron in my opinion. The Dutch Ovens, the baking pans and the saucepans do a great job. Heat retention is the best. I don't use acidic food like tomatoes, vinegar or lemons in my Lodge cast iron, but the LeCreuset, being enameled, takes these foods very well. There is no downside to this cookware for me. I don't mind the weight since I don't carry this stuff around with me so that's not an issue. Try a couple of pieces and if you can find an outlet in your area you can get all you want at a much better price. You can always find "seconds" at a much reduced price. Most of my pieces are "seconds" and neither the sales people or I can find the flaw anywhere. One lid has a small paint spot off to the side under the lid but who cares? I got it at half price.
To answer the question of what happens with acidic foods, the acid reacts with the cast iron and leaches a metallic taste into the food. If your black, unenameled cast iron has been used a couple dozen times, this reaction doesn't happen. This is what they mean when a recipe says, "use a non-reactive pan or pot." Stainless steel and enameled cast iron don't present this problem.