ISO - Pumpkin Pie Recipe
  Re: (...)
Ok I need your best pumpkin pie recipes. I've never made one before. Please don't make me boil the pumpkin because I'm not sure if I could even find cooking pumpkins out here.

My mom is making her pumpkin chiffon one which is basically pumpkin pie with cool whip. It doesn't have a good pumpkin pie flavor which is why she probably likes it.

I was going to do crust from scratch too. But if you have a special crust to go with your pie recipe lay it on me

Thank you!!!

**getting so excited for the feast**
  Re: ISO - Pumpkin Pie Recipe by DFen911 (Ok I need your best ...)
This is our favorite and I am always asked for the recipe. It has a cheese cake layer (Not pumkin pie cheese cake) and a pumpkin pie layer. I just use a standard pie crust recipe. I also can not eat pecans - so I usually just artfully arrange a few in the center to cover up the split I always get in my pie. I think the original recipe had them in a ring on the outside of the pie - not covering the whole top. I really like the addition of the maple syrup brushed on the top.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Paradise Pumpkin Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 9 inch pie crusts -- unbaked
8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs -- beaten
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
dash salt
Maple syrup
pecan halves

Combine cream cheese, sugar and vanilla, mixing on medium speed with an
electric mixer until well blended. Mix in egg.

Spread onto bottom of pie crust.

Combine remaining ingredients except syrup and pecans. Mix well.

Carefully pour over cream cheese mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 65 minutes.

Cool, brush top with syrup, top with pecan halves.

Description:
"Pumpkin Pie with a cheese cake layer on the bottom."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: ISO - Pumpkin Pie Recipe by DFen911 (Ok I need your best ...)
Maybe because I grew up on it, but I adore Libby's pumpkin pie recipe on the can - the old one, not the can that you just add canned milk, the one you have to add the spices, eggs, etc.

Pie crust - when I'm lazy, it's pillsbury refrigerated dough, when I'm not, I love this one - it's from the book that came with my first cuisinart!! That's how long I've used it. Our favorite is with the sour cream and egg yolk.

CUISINART: BASIC PASTRY
1 1/2 cup flour
1 stick, less 1 T. butter
1 T. cold vegetable type shortening
1/2 tap. salt
4-6 T. ice water
1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice or water

Steel Blade:
Put the flour, salt, shortening and butter (in chunks) in the bowl and process with the on/off method till it looks like a coarse meal. The butter must be cold to produce a tender flaky crust. Brief processing is important once the liquid is added. Add ice water and chilled lemon juice several Tablespoons at a time. Add the liquid, process a few seconds, then add more. Stop processing as it begins to hold together. If you let it form a ball of dough you'll have tough pastry. Pat it together and chill, wrapped in wax paper. Chill again after forming the crust.

VARIATIONS:
Substitute 3 oz. cream cheese for the water.
Substitute 1/2 cup sour cream and 1 beaten egg yolk for the water (this is our favorite)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ISO - Pumpkin Pie Recipe by esgunn (This is our favorite...)
That looks really good Erin----cheesecake, any kind or configuration, is always GREAT!!! printed!!! Thanks
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: ISO - Pumpkin Pie Recipe by Roxanne 21 (That looks really go...)
It's Libby's for me too. And yes, I do think it's because that's what I grew up on. It's just how you think pumpkin pie is suppose to taste. My mom could make the flakiest pie crust and always used crisco shortening. I've never been able to master that one.

Jean's recipe sounds like one I want to try!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: ISO - Pumpkin Pie Recipe by Mare749 (It's Libby's for me ...)
It's Libby's here too! I made one from scratch and they told me it wasn't as good as Libby's. So much for that. I told them if they wanted a pumpkin pie, there's the Libby's can and there's the Pillsbury Pie Crust! *mutter, mutter, curse, say I can't make a good pie, mutter, mutter*
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: ISO - Pumpkin Pie Recipe by bjcotton (It's Libby's here to...)
Ok I'm going to do one of each I cannot resist the cheesecake layer and if you all like Libby's then I'm down with it.

Thank you all!!
  Re: Re: ISO - Pumpkin Pie Recipe by DFen911 (Ok I'm going to do o...)
I'm made them from scratch also, but ended up going back to using the Libby's!!! Good luck with it!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: ISO - Pumpkin Pie Recipe by esgunn (This is our favorite...)
I use Libby's too - for the pumpking pie layer. Same ingredients - slight difference in amounts. I think that is why I like it so much - traditional pumpkin pie - with cheese cake! You gotta love it.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: ISO - Pumpkin Pie Recipe by esgunn (I use Libby's too - ...)
Erin, that pie sounds delish! I usually make the Libby's recipe, too.

Sometime really soon I have to make that pie that won a contest. It has a pecan pie inside of a cheesecake. It will be decandant, I think.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.