Creamy Wild Chanterelle Soup
  Re: (...)
Freezes beautifully and is an elegant first course.
1/2 lb shitakes, divided
3/4 lb chanterelles
3/4 lb button mushrooms
3T fresh lemon juice
6T butter, divided
1 med red onion, chopped, divided
6 garlic cloves chopped, divided
3T fresh parsley, divided
1 lemon, peeled, quartered
1/2 t thyme leaves
salt, pepper
2 bay leaves
4 cups chicken stock
3 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup Maderia
3 T Cognac
1T cornstarch
2T water

Sprinkle mushrooms with lemon juice. Thinly slice the shitakes and cut the other mushrooms into cubes-set aside.

For the garnish reserve 1T butter, the shitakes, 2T onion, 1T garlic, & 2T parsley.

Melt 5T butter in a heavy pot & saute remaining onion and garlic until golden. Add remaining mushrooms,lemon peel and quarters, thyme, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Saute over medium heat until no liquid remains.

Add stock and boil--simmer until reduced by 1/4. Remove bay leaves and lemon peel. Add cream and simmer 20 minutes. Off heat, stir in Maderia and Cognac. Dissolve cornstarch in water and stir into soup. Simmer 10 minutes. Adjust seasonings.

Melt reserved butter in skillet and saute reserved shitakes, onion, garlic & parsley. Season to taste.

Serve soup garnished with sauteed mushroom mixture.
8 servings.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Creamy Wild Chanterelle Soup by Old Bay (Freezes beautifully ...)
and it 'tastes' so elegant, Bill - good one, duly copied.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Creamy Wild Chanterelle Soup by cjs (and it 'tastes' so e...)
MUSHROOMS???? yes!!!!!! copied and placed in my folder!!! Boy, I can't wait until I can file all of these goodies on my computer-----Thanks for the recipe, Bill---new mushroom soup recipes are always welcome---do you know that mushrooms help with dry skin?? an extra benefit!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy