Meatless Meals
  Re: (...)
Some of my favorites. We have a meatless meal every week also.

Blonde Lasagne - Bon Appetit

8 oz lasagne noodles, cooked
2 - 10 oz pkgs spinach, chopped
2 lbs cottage cheese
2 eggs
salt, pepper, garlic
1 T parsley
1 lb. Montery Jack cheese
1 c. grated parmesan

Mix everything together except save the parmesan for the topping. Layer like lasagne.

Bake at 350 for 30 min

Cheaters Chilis Rellenos - Bon Appetit

6 eggs, separated
1/4 t salt
1 can diced green chilis, drained
1/2 lb Jack Cheese
Sour cream
salsa

Beat egg whites. Beat egg yolks, add flour & salt and mix til smooth.

Fold in whites, Turn 1/2 mixture into a greased 12x8 dish. Cover with chilis and cheese. Top w/remaining egg mixture.

Bake in 325 oven for 25 min. Cut into squares and top w/sour cream and salsa.

Meatless Pastitsio - Bon Appetit

12 servings

2 cups butter, melted
1 lb macaroni
1 c grated Romano
1 c grated mezithra
1 c crumbled feta
6 eggs, beaten to blend
2 c milk
freshly ground white pepper
8 phyllo pastry sheets

Preheat overn to 350. Brush 9x13 pan with some of the butter. Cook macaroni. Mix with half of remaining melted butter in large bowl. Toss w/ cheeses.
Blend in eggs, milk and pepper. Arrange in prepared dish. (can be prpared 1 day ahead to this point, covered and refrigerated.)
Cover with phyllo, brush each sheet lightly with the remaining butter.

Score top 3 sheets with tip of sharp knife.
Bake 15 min. Reduce oven to 300 and bake 35 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.

Artichoke-Stuffed Manicotti - Bon Appetit

6 manicotti shells
2 t evoo
3/4 c chopped red onion
2 c thawed frozen artichoke hearts, coarsely chopped
2 T chopped flat leaf parsley
2 t fresh thyme, chopped
1/4 t salt
1/2 c chicken broth
1/2 c ricotta cheese
1 t grated Parmesan
1/3 c spaghetti sauce w/ mushrooms
2 oz shredded mozzarella

1. Cook manicotti shells 6 min or until slightly firm, drain.

2. In large skillet, heat evoo over med heat. Add onion, saute 203 min or until tender. Add artichoke hearts, 1 T parsley, the thyme and salt. Saute 2 min.

3. Preheat to 350. Add chicken broth to skillet, cook, stirring frquently 6-7 min, until liquid evaporates. Remove skillet from heat, stir in ricotta and parmesan.

4. Spread spaghetti sauce in bottom of an 8" square baking pan. Spoon artichoke filling evenlly into the manicotti shells, place in baking dish. Cover w/ alum foil, bake 20 min. Remove foil. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese and remaining parsley over shells, bake 10-12 min or until cheese melts and filling is hot.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Meatless Meals by Half_Baked (Some of my favorites...)
Baked Cavatelli Casserole

1/2 lb cavatelli or other pasta

Sauce:
1/4 c butter
1/4 c AP flour
1 t salt
1/4 t pepper
2 c milk
1/4 c parmesan, grated

Cheese layer:
1 lb cottage cheese
1 egg
2 T parsley, chopped
1/2 t salt
1/8 t pepper

1/4 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
Paprika

Preheat to 350. Cook cavatelli, drain.

Make sauce: melt butter, remove from heat. Stir in flour, 1 t salt and 1/4 t pepper - until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to boil, stirring. Reduce heat, simmer 1 min. Remove from heat. Stir in Parmesan. In med bowl, combine cavatelli and sauce.

Make cheese layer: Combine cottage cheese, egg, parsley, salt and pepper, mix well.

In bottom of 2 qt baking dish, spoon half of cavatelli mixture. Layer with cheese mixture. Spoon on remaining cavatelli mixture.

Arrange slice mozzarella on top. Sprinkle with paprika.

Bake uncovered, 30 min or until hot and bubbly.

8 servings
Jan

Re: Re: Meatless Meals by Half_Baked (Baked Cavatelli Cass...)
Valley Eggplant Parmesan - Favorite Brand Names Cookbook

2 pounds eggplants
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cups ricotta cheese
2 packages Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
2 whole eggs
2 teaspoons bread crumbs
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut eggplants into 1/2 inch slices. Brush some of the oil onto two large baking sheets. Arrange eggplant slices in single layer on sheets and brush tops with additional oil. Bake until eggplant is fork tender, about 20 minutes.

In a large bowl, whisk together ricotta cheese and salad dressing mix, whisk in eggs. In a 13x9-inch baking dish, layer half the eggplant. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tsp. bread crumbs; top with tomato sauce. Sprinkle cheeses on tops. Bake until cheeses begin to brown about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
Serves 6
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Meatless Meals by Mare749 (Valley Eggplant Parm...)
Lol, I don't know what is worse - meat or all the artery clogging cheeses.
Jan

Re: Re: Meatless Meals by Half_Baked (Baked Cavatelli Cass...)
Sichuan Eggplant - Martin Yan

1/2 cup chicken stock
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons Chinese black vinegar or balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons chili paste
1 1/2 pounds Asian eggplant
cooking oil for deep frying
1 Tablespoon finely chopped garlic
2 ounces chopped boneless pork, cooked (leave out for meatless or use soy crumbles)
2 green onions, sliced
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tsp. water
1/4 cup basil leaves

Combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl. Roll-cut the eggplant. In a wok, heat the oil for deep-frying to 375 degrees. Deep-fry the eggplant until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.

Remove all but 2 T. of oil from the wok. Place over high heat until hot. Add the garlic and cook, stirring until
fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add the pork (leave out for meatless or use soy crumbles.) Add the eggplant, green onions,and sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium; cover and cook until the eggplant is tender, 5 to
6 minutes. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until the sauce boils and thickens. Stir in the basil.---------

For those who don't like to deep fry, you can always bake the eggplant in the oven as in the previous recipe, then proceed with the rest of the dish. This was really tasty, and you can adjust the amount of chili paste to your own taste. Enjoy
Maryann

Re: Re: Meatless Meals by Half_Baked (Lol, I don't know wh...)
I'll take cheese any day---but DH will do the meat----COMPROMISE???? Both----

Some pretty interesting recipes there, guys. Now I need to know what mizethra cheese is similar to. Texture, taste? That is one I have not heard of but love cheese of any kind soooo--- copied and printed all---Thanx!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Meatless Meals by Half_Baked (Lol, I don't know wh...)
I suppose it might help to use lowfat cheeses....but after experimenting and abusing every diet on the planet, I have come to the decision that moderation is best, so now I am attempting to portion control and walk for an hour a day. I had foot surgery recently that turned into a foodfest and very little exercise, so now I'm working on damage control. Sure had fun though!
Maryann

Re: Re: Meatless Meals by Mare749 (I suppose it might h...)
I bought the American Medical Association No-Fad Diet book and it really gets me revved up. Here's the link and the reviewers agree with me. http://tinyurl.com/v22od

Here's one of the reviews.
Reviewer: CHB (Atlanta, GA USA) -
I just got this book after searching for a plan that would work for me and my boyfriend. We are both average in weight and only need to drop 15 pounds which isn't outrageous, but our current lifestyle is clearly not conducive to that. I love to cook, but I don't want to struggle every night after work trying to make dishes that are confusing and frankly, sound gross. This book offers a structured plan that takes the guesswork out of shopping and many of the dishes are healthier versions of familiar favorites. One person here commented that some of the recipes don't seem heart healthy because they include trans-fats. Yes, there is a menu item titled "glazed doughnut" and one titled "bacon biscuit". But if you look at the entire 2 week menu, it is an exception to the rule. Let's face it, like many of us my boyfriend goes to an office that brings in breakfast Every Friday. At least it's built into the plan that, yes, Friday morning you can have a doughnut but then steers you back throughout the rest of the day. And what about the meetings where they pass around a menu and say, "pick something from this sandwich shop because we are having a lunch meeting"? Thankfully, the AHA has built these scenarios into the plan as well and suggests lower fat/lower calorie options. For working professionals, this book is great. I'm not going prepare elaborate homemade lunches and snacks everyday to take to work (one book called for soba noodles with peanut-tofu sauce and miso soup...I'm not making that at 5 a.m.!). Graham crackers, fruit, carrots and bean dip, though are do-able snacks and much better choices than whatever is in the vending machine.
As a final note - for those women out there whose boyfriend/husband is resistant to strict diets - this is the most reasonable choice. I know darn well that you can't take someone whose first choice on friday night is Pizza and a Beer (but the game's on!) and reform them to tofu loving, carb-free enthusiasts without a major breakdown. I've tried that and after after picking over an admittedly gross dinner, he went into the kitchen and fixed himself scrambled eggs with cheese. This program offers a more user friendly menu while still staying within recommended fat and calorie limits for long-term lifestyles changes.
Jan