11/11 Post-Party Review
  Re: (...)
What a fun time we had - we have wonderful new neighbors and friends up here!

I make this punch for every large get together and it gets me thru the prep work before I hit the good 'stuff' -

* Exported from MasterCook *

FAUX CHAMPAGNE

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey via???
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : BEVERAGES

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
34 ozs bottle carbonated water, chilled
34 ozs ginger ale, chilled
24 ounces unsweetened white grape juice, chilled
Ice cubes or party ice cubes (see below)

In a lg. pitcher combine carbonated water, ginger ale, & grape juice.
Pour over ice cubes in chilled champagne glasses or wine glasses (or punch bowl).

Serve immediately. Makes about 20 4-oz. servings.

FOR PARTY ICE: Place small pcs. of fruit (berries or tiny citrus wedges), small sprigs of fresh mint, or 1/2" strips of orange peel into the compartments of ice cube trays. Add enuf water to fill, then freeze.
-----

It always amazes me how many folks have not tried caviar - but, we had some instant converts that nite - I just put out some smoked salmon, minced red onion, a mix of crm. cheese, sour crm, tabasco, lemon juice and of course caviar (black lumpfish) and let everyone layer things up.

----
I'd be very careful what kind of party I would make these roasted pepper hors for - they are messy, but oh my just delicious. I had some leftovers and I'm really anxious to mix the filliig and the roasted pepppers with some pasta - thank I'll probably like it that way best of all....we'll see.

Roasted Pepper and Artichoke Puffs

2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 bunch scallions -- trimmed and minced
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 can artichoke bottoms -- (13 1/4 oz.) drained and cut into 1/4 inch dice
3 oz thinly sliced prosciutto -- minced
3 Tbsp finely shredded fresh basil
2 oz Parmesan -- grated (about 1/2 cup)
2 oz Jarlsberg or Gruyere cheese grated (about 1/2 cup)
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup Hellman's mayonnaise
--------
3 red bell peppers
3 yellow bell peppers
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Fresh ground pepper & salt to taste

Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium high heat. Add the scallions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until just softened about 2 - 3 min. Transfer to a med mixing bowl.

Add the artichoke bottoms, proscuitto, basil, parmesan and Jarlsberg to the scallions and toss to combine. Sprinkle with lemon juice and pepper. Bind the mixture with mayo and refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Prepare the peppers: Preheat the oven to 400F. Stem & seed each pepper, then cut into chunks about 2 x 1 'h inches. Place the peppers in a single layer in a large shallow baking dish. Drizzle peppers with olive oil and vinegar and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast the peppers 15 minutes, stirring once halfway through the cooking time. Remove from the oven and let cool.

When ready to serve the hors d'oeuvres, preheat the broiler. Mound about 2 tsp of the artichoke mixture onto each pepper wedge. Arrange in rows on a baking sheet and broil 3 - 4 inches from the heat until puffed and bubbly about 2 minutes. Let cool a few minutes then transfer to a tray and pass with plenty of napkins.

From Cold-Weather Cooking by Sarah Leah Chase

Yield:
"4 dz"
-------
Mu Shu Woton cups - from [Email]C@H[/Email] - Issue 60

These are very good! Everyone enjoyed them. Nice make ahead - just zap the filling when ready to serve and fill the cups.

-----

Lou's Crab Dip - none of us cared for this - friggin' waste of a lb. of crab.

-----

Here was the hit of the evening!!! My butcher promised to get me beautiful short ribs and man, did he ever come thru!! Great make ahead dish - the day before. But, I cooked mine about 4 - 5 hours instead of two - I wanted the meat to come off the bone with just a 'tad' of pressure and to be melt in your mouth tender.

No one in this town could get me baby carrots (with their little tops...) unless I took a case, so I shredded some large carrots lengthwise (looking like carrot pasta) - I didn't want just old chunks of carrot. worked great. Also, no Nicois olive in this town - but Kalamatas worked fine. The sauce is just to die for. Most overate on this one!!

SHORT RIBS PROVENCALE WITH CREME FRAICHE MASHED POTATOES

This sensational dish is best when made with meaty short ribs that are three to four inches long. Serve with a simple green salad and glasses of good Zinfandel.

2 tablespoons (or more) olive oil
6 pounds meaty beef short ribs
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
12 whole garlic cloves, peeled
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon dried herbes de Provence*
2 cups red Zinfandel
2 1/2 cups canned beef broth
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup (about) water

24 baby carrots, peeled
1/2 cup Niçois olives,** pitted
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Crème Fraîche Mashed Potatoes

Preheat oven to 325°F. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large ovenproof pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Working in batches, add ribs to pot and brown well, turning often, about 8 minutes per batch. Using tongs, transfer ribs to large bowl.

Pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings from pot or add oil as necessary to measure 2 tablespoons. Add onion, chopped carrot, and celery and cook over medium-low heat until vegetables are soft, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, flour, and herbes de Provence; stir 1 minute. Add wine and 2 cups broth; bring to boil over high heat, scraping up browned bits. Add tomatoes with juices and bay leaf. Return ribs and any accumulated juices to pot. If necessary, add enough water to pot to barely cover ribs. Bring to boil.

Cover pot tightly and transfer to oven. Bake until ribs are very tender, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours 15 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly, then refrigerate uncovered until cold. Cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before continuing.)

Add remaining 1/2 cup broth, peeled baby carrots, and Niçois olives to pot; press carrots gently to submerge. Cover, return to oven and continue cooking at 350°F until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Transfer short ribs and carrots to platter. Tent with foil to keep warm. If necessary, boil sauce to thicken slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over short ribs. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with Crème Fraîche Mashed Potatoes.

* A dried herb mixture available at specialty foods stores and in the spice section of some markets. A mix of dried thyme, basil, savory, and fennel seeds can be substituted.
** Small brine-cured black olives; available at Italian markets, specialty foods stores, and some supermarkets.

Makes 6 servings.

Bon Appétit
January 2002

-----
By the time I realize I could not get creme fraiche in town, it was too late to make it, so just went with mashers with sour cream, 1/2 & 1/2, butter, roasted garlic, and a little parm.
------

So, that was our party food - I love this little town, but I must admit it does make a person have to be creative with substitutions!!! I hope anyone who loves short ribs will try this recipe - it is wonderful and what comfort food!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: 11/11 Post-Party Review by cjs (What a fun time we h...)
Your neighbors are so lucky! I will make the shortribs later in my company's stay. Don't want to bring out the 'big gun recipes' until I'm feeling better.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: 11/11 Post-Party Review by Half_Baked (Your neighbors are s...)
I have recently read, and am on way back thru, a book published in 1988, which is basically 'how to' recipes from the worlds greatest chefs. What a meal for the mind this wonderful book is. In it, it mentions the open heartedness of the chefs in being so ready to share recipes and experience to us lesser mortals. Just like you Jean, and SteveA, Oldbay.
  Re: 11/11 Post-Party Review by cjs (What a fun time we h...)
Thanks for the info, Jean. I was thinking about Lou's dip, now I know. The ribs recipe is printed and in the lineup. Glad everything went well for you, lack of resources provided!

Get some rest!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: 11/11 Post-Party Review by vannin (I have recently read...)
Thank you, Jean. Those recipes look great. I have made the short rib recipe from C@H and also cook at least 4-5 hours for that tenderness you mentioned. I will give your recipe a shot next time I see some nice ribs at the market.

Sure wish I could get crab here---now I know what not to use it in!!

CAN'T WAIT FOR MY MASTERCOOK program!!! My notebooks are jamming!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: 11/11 Post-Party Review by Roxanne 21 (Thank you, Jean. Th...)
Dale, what a nice thing for you to say - thank you.

On the leftovers - had the first one last nite - had some Roasted Pepper and Artichoke Puffs mixture and some pieces of the roasted bells left, so mixed it with some Campanelle (or any pasta that will catch up some of the 'sauce'). R & I decided I will probably make this again JUST for a pasta sauce, it's that good!!!

I didn't try to heat the sauce/mixture, I just put it in a heat-proof bowl and set it over the pasta water pan and let it get warm from heating the water - the hot pasta added did the rest. My, this was good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com