? about capon
  Re: (...)
Someone mentioned capon on the Thanksgiving thread. This was what we had for Thanksgiving and Christmas when I was growing up, but I hadn't even thought about it for years. Since my parents will be joining us for T'giving this year, I would like to surprise them with a roast capon.

Is this something I could buy in a grocery store or do I have to travel a bit to a shop specializing in poultry?

How big are these (average)? I was going to roast a 20-pound turkey, but are capons smaller? The size of a big chicken? I don't know if I could fit in 2 roasting pans along with all of the other "oven items" I'm making.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: ? about capon by foodfiend (Someone mentioned ca...)
  Re: ? about capon by foodfiend (Someone mentioned ca...)
I did some some time back and they were ~10-12 lbs. each - so you are figuring correctly. Hope you can find them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ? about capon by cjs (I did some some time...)
My family loves capon and I make it often during the year. I am able to get frozen capon in the frozen food section of our local supermarkets, they're right in there with the frozen turkey, ducks, rabbits, etc. If you can't find it yourself ask the manager. Sometimes they're in the back. Fresh capons are available during Thanksgiving at most meat markets. This is one good bird.
  Re: Re: ? about capon by cjs (I did some some time...)
Posted this on the Thanksgiving thread-- forgot I had started this one!

I called our local mega-grocery and they do have frozen capons for $2.69 a pound. Since I can get a Honeysuckle frozen turkey for 79 cents a pound, I may not do this. Is it worth the (many) extra bucks?

I'm going to try a meat market on the other side of town. If their price is more reasonable, I can get to that part of town sometime later next week.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Post deleted by sysadmin by (...)
NO capons here---we do have cornish hens though---they are larger than the turkeys available---but love the turkey!! (when I can get it!!). Will shop this week in the more Jewish areas of the city this week---they will have the real turkeys if no where else---keep your fingers crossed and whatever!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: ? about capon by Roxanne 21 (NO capons here---we ...)
Capons at $2.69 per lb. is about right. They are more expensive than turkey or chicken (probably used a high priced surgeon for the castration job) and the poor bird is pissed off anyway, but the flavor and the juiciness is awesome. It's worth extra cost to me but this is something you have to decide for yourself.

ROXANNE, did I read your post right?? The cornish hens are larger than the turkeys??? In my neck of the woods cornish game hens run about a pound per bird. That's some hen you've got there in Africa.
  Re: Re: ? about capon by VegasDramaQueen (Capons at $2.69 per ...)
My cornish hens are about the size of a softball (about 5" in diameter). The meat is too much for one person but not enough for 2.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: ? about capon by VegasDramaQueen (Capons at $2.69 per ...)
YUP!!! You read it right--the capons/cornish hens you all have are what they call pouissons here---they are sooo tiny!! Heck---everything is a__ backward here--get used to it though otherwise we wouldn't survive----

Cuts of meat??? That's another story!!!!!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy