Corned Beef Attie
  Re: (...)
I made the corned beef attie and it was really pretty good, BUT I think I must have done something wrong. It wsas VERY salty. I did not salt the meat or add anything to the recipe that wasn't called for. What happened? Anyone else have this. I didn't rinse the corned beef before adding to the pan - but I didn't add any extra juices other than what was on the meat. I did not add the seasoning packet either. I just don't know.

ALSO - any thoughts on what I can do with it now to break down some of the salty flavor - make a soup with no added salt? Any thought would be appreciated.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Corned Beef Attie by esgunn (I made the corned be...)
You didn't do anything wrong. Corned beef is very salty. I don't know how to lessen the salt but I make my first dinner with potatos and cabbage (not salted). My second dinner is Reuben sandwiches and then I make hash with potatos...again, no salt.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Corned Beef Attie by Half_Baked (You didn't do anythi...)
I make corned beef - glazed corned beef but it is boiled for hours then baked with the glaze to finish it. I guess I just boil away the salt, and toss it out with the water.
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Corned Beef Attie by Half_Baked (You didn't do anythi...)
I have found that corned beef varies in saltiness. Although I can only claim to have had only one really salty one, and that was fairly recently, I don't think there is any way to tell prior to cooking. So I don't think you did anything wrong. As for using the improperly corned beef, perhaps it could be ground up and used in cobs or patties and crumbed. Using mashed veggies, like tato, pumpkin, kumara and so on.
  Re: Re: Corned Beef Attie by vannin (I have found that co...)
Perhaps you could shred it and use it in things like fajitas, burritos or serve with unsalted mashed potatoes and an unsalted gravy.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Oh Erin, I hate it when a recipe I post doesn't work for someone - and it's been so long (so many dishes ago ) since I made it, I'll go look at the recipe again. I do know that I always rinse a corned beef before 'playing' with, but let me go look. darn!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Corned Beef Attie by cjs (Oh Erin, I hate it w...)
CJS - The flavors were great - except the salt. I was thinking I must have just gotten a couple extra salty pieces of meat. I think I might try it in a reuben casserole. I hope that works.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Corned Beef Attie by esgunn (CJS - The flavors we...)
Reuben casserole sounds yummy!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
Maybe boil up some potatoes, carrots, onions, turnips and beets and make one of my favorite comfort foods-Red Flannel Hash!

What time is breakfast?

PJ
PJ