Steak Diane Dinner Review for November 13
  Re: (...)
New thread so we don't lose it somewhere in the mix!! I am going to use a beef tenderloin filet--the rib eyes here are really tough and no amount of pounding will get the expected result---this has to be a tender, melt in your mouth sensation--IMHO.

How's this? Sounds okay to me.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Steak Diane

Recipe By :Julia Childs
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Beef-Veal

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For the Steaks-
Prepare:
2 rib eye steaks (12 oz. each)
1 t. soy sauce
1 -2 t. vegetable oil
For the Sauce-
Assemble:
2 T. unsalted butter
2 T. shallots -- finely minced
1/2 cup canned beef broth
1 T. Dijon mustard
1 T. chopped fresh parsley
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t. fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper
To Cook-
Heat:
2 T. unsalted butter
2 t. vegetable oil

Prepare steaks as shown. After pounding, rub each with soy sauce and oil.

Assemble ingredients for the sauce (whisk together the beef stock and mustard); set aside.

Heat a large saute pan over high heat; add butter and oil, swirling to coat. Add steaks and saute in batches; transfer to a warm platter. With the pan over high heat, prepare the sauce by adding butter and shallots; saute for 30 seconds. Deglaze with the stock mixture, then stir in parsley, Worcestershire, and lemon juice; season to taste. Return steaks to the pan just to coat in sauce, then serve immediately.

Source:
"Cuisine at home, February 2005, Issue 49, p. 13"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Julia's Mashed Potatoes

Recipe By :Julia Childs
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Fruits-Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Boil -- then Drain and Dry:
2 1/2 lb. russet or Yukon gold potatoes -- peeled and cut into 2" chunks
Press or Whip Potatoes -- Add:
2 - 4 T. unsalted butter -- room temperature
1/2 - 1 cup whole milk -- heated
Salt and white pepper to taste

Boil potatoes in salted water for 15 - 25 minutes or until tender when pierced. Drain, return them to the pot, and dry 1 minute.

Press potatoes through a ricer or whip with a mixer at slow to medium speed. Add butter, milk, and season to taste.

Source:
"Cuisine at home, February 2005, Issue 49, p. 15"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--------------------
Try to remember that people are doing the best they can with what they have.
Billy

Post Extras
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Steak Diane Dinner Review for November 13 by Roxanne 21 ( New thread so we do...)
since the on line recipes don't give the hints that the mag shows, here they are (might help) -

1. Thin, tender beef is cooked lightning-fast, then served in a flavorful pan sauce - complete in less than 5 minutes! Julia suggested reading the recipe first, having everything ready, and above all, having a good time!

2. Julia recommended flavoring the sauce to your own taste. You can adjust the Worcestershire and lemon juice, and add chopped fresh thyme or tarragon if you like.

3. Trim steaks, removing large pcs. of fat and any gristle.

4. Cut each steak into quarters; two 3-oz pieces are a serving.

5. Place meat between plastic and pound to an even 1/4" thickness.

6. Complete your mise en place - combine the stock and mustard, chop the shallots and parsley and squeeze a little lmeon juice.

7. Saute 4 pcs. of steak over high heat for 1 min. Turn and saute second side for 40-50 seconds. Repeat for the other steaks.

8. Deglaze the pan with the broth mix, stirring to scrape up any bits. Add the remainin sauce ingred.

9. Return steaks (and any juices) to the pan & immerse in the sauce for a few moments, turning to coat.

10. Remove steaks and plate right away so they don't over cook. Sauce the steaks lightly and serve.

the potatoes -

1. Drying the potatoes is a must to remove the moisture. The drier they are, the more butter and milk they will absorb, resulting in creamier potatoes.

2. Toss the cooked, drained potatoes over medium heat to allow moisture to evaporate.

3. Use a ricer to press potatoes - if you have one.

4. Warming - Keep potatoes warm in a water bath (bain-marie) Set the dish or pan of potatoes in a larger, fairly shallow pan of hot, simmering water; cover loosely with plastic wrap and stir occasionally. The potatoes will keep beautifuly this was for an hour or more.

------

The hints [Email]C@H[/Email] add to the recipe really are a good idea. And keeping the 'tatoes hot while concentrating on the steak is invaluable.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Steak Diane Dinner Review for November 13 by cjs (since the on line re...)
Thanks Jean, those hints help a lot.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Steak Diane Dinner Review for November 13 by bjcotton (Thanks Jean, those h...)
Yes, thank you Jean!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Steak Diane Dinner Review for November 13 by Half_Baked (Yes, thank you Jean!...)
Thanks from me too, Jean----I shoulda thought of doing that--CRS or just plain elsewhere!!!

Those are the hints we receive the Issues for--DUH!!! *as she gets ten lashes with that wet noodle again*
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Steak Diane Dinner Review for November 13 by Roxanne 21 (Thanks from me too, ...)
Ok have them both printed out and it sounds delish! Thanks for the recipe and tips
  Re: Re: Steak Diane Dinner Review for November 13 by DFen911 (Ok have them both pr...)
This will be a fun one - I haven't done a "Julia" dish for some time!!

(Oh, tomorrow's Friday, time to check Denise's blogs for the week..... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Steak Diane Dinner Review for November 13 by cjs (This will be a fun o...)
Is this still on? Tomorrow is my husband's birthday, (we had his party today) so I'm planning on making this for dinner tomorrow. It sure sounds yummy and Jean, thanks for posting all the tips for making it as I have a much better idea what I'm doing now.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Steak Diane Dinner Review for November 13 by Mare749 (Is this still on? T...)
Yup, it's still on. I'm going to use elk steak for the meat. We'll be having it for lunch though.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Steak Diane Dinner Review for November 13 by bjcotton (Yup, it's still on. ...)
I'm going to be a day or two late on this one, but by Wednesday for sure I'll be able to add my review. My fridge is full right now and we're on leftovers.

I'm anxious to try this one tho...
www.achefsjourney.com