Oh My, This Was So Good!!!
  Re: (...)
Some of you have heard me mention a book a bunch of us put together of just plain old comfort food recipes (Share a Recipe) - well, I made one last nite from the book for the first time and I can't tell you how wonderful my house smelled all afternoon and delicious???? It is a super dish - and it's one of those 'dump and cook' things. (It's on pg. 62 for those of you who have the book)(Hang on, Piano )

* Exported from MasterCook *

ROAST SAUSAGE WITH ONIONS, PEPPER & POTATOES

Recipe By: (Roberto), Kernersville, NC USA

Bell Peppers - green, red, yellow - whatever you prefer to use - cored, seeded and cut into nice chunks.
Potatoes, scrubbed & cubed into large chunks.
Large onions, of any variety, peeled and chunked.
Salt & Pepper, Olive oil
Sausage - Italian is the primary choice but this is wonderful with Kielbasa, Bratwurst, Chorizo, Andouille, whatever you can get a lot of for a little.

Combine all cut vegetables in a large foil roasting pan and drizzle with a goodly amount of olive oil, season with salt & pepper.

I add some crushed red pepper, a little Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano and mix well.(I used all of these)

Cover with foil and bake in a 350°F oven for about an hour.
(I left it for one hour)

While the veggies cook, parboil your sausage in a little water in a covered pan for 15 to 20 minutes. (I didn't do this step)

When veggies are starting to get nice and soft, cut the sausage into nice size pieces and add to the roasting pan.
Cover and bake 3/4 to 1 hour, then uncover & roast under the broiler, stirring occasionally, till the sausage is browning nicely and the veggies start to show signs of browning. (I just cut up the sausage in chunks and mixed in; recovered tightly w/foil and let cook for another hour - then put under the broiler and stirred a couple times till the sausage was a beautiful color - then we just dug in!)

Serve with grated cheese, bread and a salad, or a raw vegetable antipasto, or soup, or anything.

Description:
"Amounts are irrelevant - this is ultra simple and delicious."
----

I'm telling you for a snowy or rainy afternoon, this dish is exactly what you need cooking in your kitchen. We just had sourdough bread with it!! ...and a bottle of red.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Oh My, This Was So Good!!! by cjs (Some of you have he...)
That sounds soooo good!! I remembered a very simple dish I haven't made in years--After my dads stroke I would go to their house and throw together okra, tomatoes, and sliced Polish sausage, heat it up and serve with buttermilk cornbread. Delicious.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
YES YES YES, This was soooo good and even good cold when passing by the frig. So glad I talked you into trying this
  Re: Re: Oh My, This Was So Good!!! by Old Bay (That sounds soooo go...)
I think it is so wonderful that Roberto's family take the time to write down the old recipes that they enjoyed for generations. Wonder how his canning and wine are doing.

I wish he'd compile a cookbook.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
This dish has been a favorite in our house for many, many years. I add some boneless chicken thighs to this dish and we love it. I always use hot Italian sausage, my husband couldn't get enough, but I suppose other sausage would work just as well. I make it exactly as your recipe but I put everything in the roasting pan together after browning the chicken and sausage for a few minutes. This way everything cooks at the same time since the chicken and sausage take about an hour to cook. Be sure to use LOTS of onions. And yes, the house and most of the neighborhood smelled soooooo good.
  Re: Re: Oh My, This Was So Good!!! by VegasDramaQueen (This dish has been a...)
I, too, used a spicier sausage and will probably always do so. The addition of chix (oh my now I can think of a lot of additions... )sounds very good. I forgot to mention I added a couple of almost too ripe tomatoes. In fact this is a dish I think cleaning the fridge out was made for.

VDQ, you have me really thinking now...some clams thrown in there...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Oh My, This Was So Good!!! by cjs (I, too, used a spici...)
NOOOOOOOOO!!! Don't do clams with Italian sausage. Not a good combination.
  Re: Re: Oh My, This Was So Good!!! by VegasDramaQueen (NOOOOOOOOO!!! Don't...)
Oh, I beg to differ with you - I do a stew with that combo and we've always loved it!!! It has chicken, ham, sausage and clams!! It's delicious!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Oh My, This Was So Good!!! by cjs (Oh, I beg to differ ...)
One word! Paella!!! Sausage, ham, chicken, clams, etc. Yummmmy
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Oh My, This Was So Good!!! by Harborwitch (One word! Paella!!!...)
But paella usually calls for a spicier sausage---chorizo or andouille instead of Italian. Am I incorrect?
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy