Eureka!!
  Re: (...)
I'm a little behind on trying things that a lot of you have on a semi-regular basis. I'm talking about gnocchi. Oh-my-gosh!!! I've never had gnocchi and this summer while in Dallas, I purchased a package of already made. I posted back in August asking you guys for serving ideas. Old Bay posted about serving his with Hunters Chicken. That sounded interesting so I goggled a recipe. Found one that sounded yummy and last night I finally fixed it. I prepared my gnocchi and tossed it with some brown butter then served the chicken on top with the sauce kind of drizzled all over. It is ranking right up there as my favorite dish! 10 out of 10!! There was not one piece of chicken, gnocchi, or sauce left! What a gem!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Eureka!! by Bizymomma (I'm a little behind ...)
WELLLL___are you gonna share that recipe with us--or what???

If I say PRETTY PLEASE!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Eureka!! by Roxanne 21 (WELLLL___are you gon...)
you bet!

Hunters Chicken
serves 6 (not really)LOL

1/2 c. butter
1 c. minced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced (i used 4)
1 c. chopped fresh parsley
3 pounds chicken, cut
1 c. chicken broth
1 c. sliced, fresh mushrooms
1 Tbsp. dry basil (I used fresh)
1 1/2 tsp. rosemary (I used fresh)
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c. dry white wine

In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until soft. Add garlic and cook for one minute then add parsley and cook for about another minute. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides. Add mushrooms, broth, basil, rosemary, bay leaves, salt and pepper; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. (Chicken should be tender) Add the white wine and simmer another 15 minutes.

Now, I removed my chicken before this time because I wanted to thicken up the pan sauce a little. I just removed the chicken to a platter and cranked the heat up to reduce the sauce. Not for too long, maybe about 5 minutes or so.

To serve, I plated up the brown butter gnocchi, put a piece of chicken on the top and spooned the suace over the chicken. I will fix this again soon. It is wonderful!
  Re: Re: Eureka!! by Bizymomma (you bet! [img]/ubbth...)
Sounds wonderful and I guess I'm glad this time of year is here, those comfort dishes....oh my, so good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Eureka!! by cjs (Sounds wonderful and...)
Thanks Angela----now what makes this Hunters Chicken??? Looks really good----love comfy food!!!!
  Re: Re: Eureka!! by Roxanne 21 (Thanks Angela----now...)
I have no earthly idea....you'll have to ask Old Bay on that one.

Looking back at his post, he does say "hunters chicken with marsala sauce".... I didn't use marsala, but i bet it would be very tasty as well.
  Re: Re: Eureka!! by Bizymomma (I have no earthly id...)
OLD BAY!!! What makes this hunters chicken??? Just curious and now I'm on a mission--- hmmm--marsala would be a good addition--just bought a bottle because it was on the shelf and we don't see that very often. I used this the other day when I made the short rib recipe--yummm!!
  Re: Re: Eureka!! by Roxanne 21 (OLD BAY!!! What ma...)
Well, I'm not Bill, but I'm sure I remember hearing years ago Hunter's Chicken has to do with the old days using smoked meat (which was referred to as hunter's meat) being used in stew. We'll see how far off I am when Bill comes on.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Eureka!! by cjs (Well, I'm not Bill, ...)
Look what I found:
Definition: hunters chicken
Search dictionary for

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: WordNet ® 1.7

hunter's chicken
n : chicken casserole prepared with tomatoes and mushrooms and
herbs in the Italian style [syn: chicken cacciatore, chicken
cacciatora]

My recipe didn't have any tomatoes in it, however, I think this is one of those dishes that has a lot of adaptations to it! LOL
  Re: Re: Eureka!! by Bizymomma (Look what I found:[b...)
or he**, maybe Hunter made up the recipe!